[Event] Medallion Tour De Stellenbosch

medallioncyclerace

Skipped the pass for some iced cappuccino's and headed back. Head wind was a killer on the way there - no real red line stuff but averaged 29Km/h over 89Km.

It is good to start my rebuilding phase after traveling to Europe.

It was inspiring to see the racing bunches whizz by oppie Simondium Rd.

There was a crash scene just after the railway lines - looked like SV.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a good race, started in H, broke away and managed to catch up with front of G, coming into finish line, got out sprinted by the original 3 guys from break away from H, so stopped sprinting and cruised over line, as crossed line, group came over line still what I consider racing, get to timing mats, 5 people where only 3 can fit. So after the whole eventless ride, end up knocked off at timing mats.

Then tried to drag my timing chip over mats to get a time :P

All in all a great race, 2:39

Dale had a great ride till Kyamandi, when I picked up a massive brown stable (from box) puncture. At this time my Ave was 38km. So I dont mind change the tube, bomb it. Pssssssss goes down again. So put another tube and Bomb it. Pssssssssss. So sat on wall watching okes come flying past. One of the League guys I know stopped and gave me a bomb and tube. Then rode back to fininsh. Quite funny rode back with most of the guys and girls I started with in M. So have no idea what my time was. Will have to wait for Racetec. Hopefully next week goes better. Have to replace the tyre though.

Welcome back 2 da racing bro and better luck next week.

Thanks for the "Get Well" message, Dale! Seems to have helped - I'm sniffly but getting better, I hope. Would have like to have raced today - it seems like it was a relatively quiet and well-behaved ride.

I'm still trying to get the picture out of my head of what a "massive brown stable (from box) puncture" is like. I have a vision of this enormous horse poop ... Big J enters looking the epitome of a sleek roadie .... emerges looking like a MTBer who has been caught in the aftermath of a flash-flood. Ueergh.

I had quite a good race, but a bit of drama before the start. I upgraded to K, but there was a massive queue at the PPA tent. Anyway, I got to the start just as my group left. J,K,L riders were all bunched together.

I lost the front runners over Helshoogte but was ahead of the rest of the bunch. Down the back of Helshoogte I sprinted to join a group infront of me. Caught up with them and recovered for a while. A tandem came flying passed and we chased them down and stayed with them. On the R45 we chased down 3 bunches behind the tandem. I think we were over a 100 riders at one point. The bunch was scary big. We even chased down a couple of trucks which complicated things with that huge group. Once we turned off the R45 things settled down and the groups pretty much stayed put. I broke off the front at one point to catch another group and stayed with them for the rest of the race. That was by far the toughest bit of the race. Got dropped 3km from the finish but ended quite well. I think I finished in 2h57, give or take a little. A really nice ride.

Dale had a great ride till Kyamandi, when I picked up a massive brown stable (from box) puncture. At this time my Ave was 38km. So I dont mind change the tube, bomb it. Pssssssss goes down again. So put another tube and Bomb it. Pssssssssss. So sat on wall watching okes come flying past. One of the League guys I know stopped and gave me a bomb and tube. Then rode back to fininsh. Quite funny rode back with most of the guys and girls I started with in M. So have no idea what my time was. Will have to wait for Racetec. Hopefully next week goes better. Have to replace the tyre though.

Dude, from the get go you started like a rocket on mission to Mars. You started very furiously. Nice

Had a good race, started in H, broke away and managed to catch up with front of G, coming into finish line, got out sprinted by the original 3 guys from break away from H, so stopped sprinting and cruised over line, as crossed line, group came over line still what I consider racing, get to timing mats, 5 people where only 3 can fit. So after the whole eventless ride, end up knocked off at timing mats.

Then tried to drag my timing chip over mats to get a time :P

All in all a great race, 2:39

Nice racing B. :thumbup: Pity about the cramming at the mats - happens at most races :thumbdown: trick is to keep going past the finish line and hit the mats hard - it's for time, not position. Take it easy on Kerri this week. LOL. :w00t: :ph34r:

Thanks for the "Get Well" message, Dale! Seems to have helped - I'm sniffly but getting better, I hope. Would have like to have raced today - it seems like it was a relatively quiet and well-behaved ride.

I'm still trying to get the picture out of my head of what a "massive brown stable (from box) puncture" is like. I have a vision of this enormous horse poop ... Big J enters looking the epitome of a sleek roadie .... emerges looking like a MTBer who has been caught in the aftermath of a flash-flood. Ueergh.

'Staple' LT. One of those packaging ones they use on boxes. They will even sort your car tyre out for you. Not lekka! Big J is bigger (read taller) than me as far as I can remember - but seeing his average, he should at least be a B/C/D PPA rider. btw he does loads of MTB stuff.

'Staple' LT. One of those packaging ones they use on boxes. They will even sort your car tyre out for you. Not lekka! Big J is bigger (read taller) than me as far as I can remember - but seeing his average, he should at least be a B/C/D PPA rider. btw he does loads of MTB stuff.

Hey guys sorry ..STAPLE.. even this soutie cant spell at the best of times. K- first race today in years so they would not put me higher up than M. Now had a bad time aswell. Anyway just have to better it next week. I'm sommer lus to do both next weekend now.

Dude, from the get go you started like a rocket on mission to Mars. You started very furiously. Nice
Did you start in M aswell. I mannaged to fininsh the ride with a few M's after all the drama I had. Edited by Big J-WP

Did you start in M aswell. I mannaged to fininsh the ride with a few M's after all the drama I had.

Hey guys sorry ..STAPLE.. even this soutie cant spell at the best of times. K- first race today in years so they would not put me higher up than M. Now had a bad time aswell. Anyway just have to better it next week. I'm sommer lus to do both next weekend now.

Well done on the first attempt then! Don't over do it though. Saturday is the old Wilde race with the only big thing being Botmas Pas and the rollers along Malmesbury road.

Sunday is a good portion of the 'world funride championships' - I am doing that!

Did you start in M aswell. I mannaged to fininsh the ride with a few M's after all the drama I had.

Yeah!!! We passed you seating at the Kayamandi bridge. I supposed, you hadn't fixed your tyre yet by then.

Hey!! I still like that take-off ferocity.

See you at the Bay City Classic, Le Turbo, hopefully.

:whistling: