Conti Race King 2.2 Problem - "Warped Tyre"

Caerus

I got my first flat tyre in almost a year and a half of riding , I tried to bomb the tyre twice but it would not stay inflated, and I could not find any holes to try to plug either. It just went flat. :wacko:

So this is where the real issue comes in, the tyre in now "warped" after having to ride it at a very low pressure to get back to the trail centre, I also pushed a bit. I took the tyre off, cleaned out the old Stans, put new rim tape and a new valve on, the tyre is now staying inflated and I was able to pump it with a floor pump, it has seated correctly and the rim is running true, but the when I spin the tyre it does not run true ont the bike.

I've just had it checked by my mechanic this morning on his trueing stand and everything is running true but the tyre looks "warped"

Has anyone else had this issue, is the tyre now stuffed?

I've also had that before. Mine happened because the bike was standing with a deflated tyre too long. As far as I'm concerned if the bead seats properly and you can't feel the tyre jiggle below you when that spot goes over the road, you can probably still ride it. I wouldn't go do the Epic on it though! My one road bike tyre also warped yesterday. A small stone cut the tyre and lodged itself in the rubber. Maybe 1mm big. I think that small stone might have severed one of the strands of the casing, causing the tyre to warp. Superglue will fix the tyre, but not the warp.

I've also had that before. Mine happened because the bike was standing with a deflated tyre too long. As far as I'm concerned if the bead seats properly and you can't feel the tyre jiggle below you when that spot goes over the road, you can probably still ride it. I wouldn't go do the Epic on it though! My one road bike tyre also warped yesterday. A small stone cut the tyre and lodged itself in the rubber. Maybe 1mm big. I think that small stone might have severed one of the strands of the casing, causing the tyre to warp. Superglue will fix the tyre, but not the warp.

Its crazy that you spend so much money on a tyre for it to do this. Oh well, guess I will be doing a lot of skidding to wear it down.

I also ruined a tyre that way. Was a Specialized Fast Trak. Burped it on a bridge at the Cycle Park. Had a horrid kink in it.

Look at the tyre beat, and where it sits on the rim...maybe there is some Stans that is causing the tyre to "look" warped. Some now tyres do not run true on a rim.

Just clean the inside off the rim where the bead has to sit, and clean the tyre bead 100%

Look at the tyre beat, and where it sits on the rim...maybe there is some Stans that is causing the tyre to "look" warped. Some now tyres do not run true on a rim.

Just clean the inside off the rim where the bead has to sit, and clean the tyre bead 100%

I did all of the above, even scrubbed the inside of the tyre to get all the old Stans off, which took me an hr, I also made sure the rim was clean and fee of any old Stans, and tape.

So it seems its not just the Conti tyres that do this. Stupid tyres :thumbdown: Oh well, guess I will have to live with it, just hoope it doesn't cause an issue later on.

This issue is common. Tyres rely on a biased ply of thin fibres to keep its carcass in shape. The exact angle of the bias is very important otherwise the tyre will elongate, shorten or get fatter or thinner as you inflate it.

These fibres resist all the air pressure in the tyre and if you could remove the rubber, you'd see two hooped-shaped beads supporting a criss-cross of netting.

When you puncture a tyre or shakebite it, you break off some of the fibres and the support in that section is then biased to the left or right, pulling it out of line, like a boxer's broken nose.

All tyres are equally prone to it but manufacturing faults also creep in. I believe that Maxxiss has the hightest incidence of this defect coming off the factory floor. This is just my personal observation from fitting several brand new Maxxiss tyres with broken noses out the box.

However, the majority of the cases can be attributed to damage from rocks or sharp objects or snake-biting.

This issue is common. Tyres rely on a biased ply of thin fibres to keep its carcass in shape. The exact angle of the bias is very important otherwise the tyre will elongate, shorten or get fatter or thinner as you inflate it.

These fibres resist all the air pressure in the tyre and if you could remove the rubber, you'd see two hooped-shaped beads supporting a criss-cross of netting.

When you puncture a tyre or shakebite it, you break off some of the fibres and the support in that section is then biased to the left or right, pulling it out of line, like a boxer's broken nose.

All tyres are equally prone to it but manufacturing faults also creep in. I believe that Maxxiss has the hightest incidence of this defect coming off the factory floor. This is just my personal observation from fitting several brand new Maxxiss tyres with broken noses out the box.

However, the majority of the cases can be attributed to damage from rocks or sharp objects or snake-biting.

Thanks for the reply :thumbup: I still can't work out exactly what it was that caused it to go flat in the first place. I couldn't see any visible marks, holes or even scuff marks from a rock, not even a bit of stans was visible on the outside.

Will it have any effect on handling now that it is warped, I know I can ride on it but will be more prone to going flat now? It seems to be fine now(holding air) and that was after pumping it up with a hand/foot pump, which I was incredibly surprised I was able to do. :blink:

It could be that it just burped itself flat or that the sealant worked and sealed the hole but you can't see it from the outside.

But I' pretty sure that it hit a rock in the first place. A well-place rock that pinches the cords against the rim easily severs them without leaving any evidence.

Farmers have a gadget they use on bulls and rams. It cuts the vas deference inside the scrotum without damaging the scrotum. It's a charming device that looks like a broad front-cutter (as opposed to a side-cutter plier) and they use this to quickly, cheaply and painfully emasculate their livestock.

This is exactly the same principle with the tyre.