Rugby...

'Dale

Yesterday's game was terrible as an advertisement for Rugby.

Boks are too easily affected by bad ref decisions. That's why there was so much frustration and hand-bag slinging in the first halve. That English ref is just plain useless.

The Irish never looked liked scoring, but they at least did some good running with the outside backs. We also never looked like scoring with our backline. In fact our backline looked toothless, and with big players in the backline there was never any X-factor. You could predict our backline moves without any advanced rugby knowledge. Our backline coach must be shown the door.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our coach must be shown the door...

As a side note, I cringed at how white the team was. Normally players of colour are there not on merit, but yesterday there was at least two players of color that were wrongfully left out of the team...

Our coach must be shown the door...

As a side note, I cringed at how white the team was. Normally players of colour are there not on merit, but yesterday there was at least two players of color that were wrongfully left out of the team...

Yeah, move Lambie to fullback. Elton @ 10, Aplon on wing, De Jong @ centre. They will run any team deurmekaar.

Yeah, move Lambie to fullback. Elton @ 10, Aplon on wing, De Jong @ centre. They will run any team deurmekaar.

I don't think the coach will allow that. The back line will be way to small then. None taller than 1.8m. Except JP of course...

I don't think the coach will allow that. The back line will be way to small then. None taller than 1.8m. Except JP of course...

The coach is useless he must just go away.

And? Whats the problem? Aplon, DeJong, and Elton are brilliant defenders. For the forwards it`s about brawn, but for backs it`s more about technique.

Edited by Berg Bok

The coach is useless he must just go away.

And? Whats the problem? Aplon, DeJong, and Elton are brilliant defenders. For the forwards it`s about brawn, but for backs it`s more about technique.

I am not 100% sure though when it comes to size. I would pick a bigger guy every time, all else equal. It's like having a 30kg pitbull vs. a 20 kg pitbull. On average the bigger dog will win.

I am not 100% sure though when it comes to size. I would pick a bigger guy every time, all else equal. It's like having a 30kg pitbull vs. a 20 kg pitbull. On average the bigger dog will win.

The pitbull won`t be able to catch the whippet. The whippet can easily catch the pitbull, and bring him down.

The pitbull won`t be able to catch the whippet. The whippet can easily catch the pitbull, and bring him down.

A whippet bring down a pitbull? Have you ever seen the two next to each other? The pitbull will run for kilometers with the whippet trying to "tackle" it. Its also why Brian Mitchell never fought Tyson. He would have died in the ring.

Put 15 Pitbull and 15 Whippets in a 100m x 50m field. Assuming the Pitbulls don't fight each other. At the end of 80 minutes there won't be any walking Whippets left.

In the context of rugby size does matter.

Edited by Octavian

Aplon can take down a Kershner or Pieterson with ease. Not so easy for them to bring down Aplon, they must catch him 1st.

Aplon can take down a Kershner or Pieterson with ease. Not so easy for them to bring down Aplon, they must catch him 1st.

Luckily they have 14 other people to help. Sure, if you were playing on a 1km x 1km field, but not in the confines of a rugby field.

Luckily they have 14 other people to help. Sure, if you were playing on a 1km x 1km field, but not in the confines of a rugby field.

HM has the same attitude about player size and look how k@k the backline is.

HM has the same attitude about player size and look how k@k the backline is.

My attitude isn't 100% the same as his. I agree there are some smaller players whose skill negates their size, and they should be given a chance, but when your whole back line is 10cm shorter and 20 kg's lighter than the opposing team, then I suspect you are in for a hiding on most cases. There's a reason why large guys excel at rugby and not at cross country running.

It's a fine balance that needs to be maintained...

I have never seen any instances where Aplon or De Jong were unable to defend against a player because of size. Or that they messed up a high ball by being to short. I have seen many instances where the bigger player was unable to defend against them. Maybe against a team like NZ, I would include a run `n bash player like F Steyn, but in De Villiers place, I`ll still keep the danger player De Jong.

Octavian

If you play a very fast paced game the big guys will run out of steam quicker than the smaller guys. The smaller guys will have more stamina. I am not saying the whole backline must be small though. But generally your 10, 11 and 13 should be smaller I believe. Andre Joubert was not a big guy and look at how well he played at 15. I would like my backline players at between 1.8 and 1.9 meters tall and between 80kgs and 95kgs in weight.

Edited by Moridin

Octavian

If you play a very fast paced game the big guys will run out of steam quicker than the smaller guys. The smaller guys will have more stamina. I am not saying the whole backline must be small though. But generally your 10, 11 and 13 should be smaller I believe. Andre Joubert was not a big guy and look at how well he played at 15. I would like my backline players at between 1.8 and 1.9 meters tall and between 80kgs and 95kgs in weight.

I agree with what you say. All I am saying is that if you make the whole back line smaller, then it's a bad thing. There's a reason why Japan will never be a rugby super power.

I will take a team of 15 Jean de Villiers' anyday above a team of 15 Pat Lambie's even though I am a Pat Lambie fan.

There is a place for smaller more agile players, but on average it shouldn't be your whole team.