Frame Shipping from UK

camerons

Thanks Bru. I found a similar one that can do it via UPS for 162 or 220 with full insurance so think I will just go for that.

You are right though the issue is the voumetric weight... the actual package weight less than 5kg but the volumetric weight is nearly 30!!

I'd glady give you 220 towards your plane to ticket to bring it over for me. The frame will be in Wimbledon from tomorrow morning. Bring it next weekend and you can come and watch the opening round of the super 15.

Yes I already brought it. Costing me an arm and a leg! Once I add in shipping, taxes and the exchange rate it will be more that it costs here. Its a Specialized and they do not have my size in SA and cannot tell me when they will get stock. Shops in the UK will not ship internationally so I had to get it sent to a mate who will then send it to me. Pain in the ass.

Ok... Well that is the reason then... As soon as we order parts from CRC and it is more than about R5k, they allways add duties as well... We always structure our orders between 3k and 5k... Free shipping and only VAT and clearance fee. Did not know that customs would differenciate between frames and other parts.

Don't worry, it's not the ammount in Rands that affects whether you pay duty additional to the VAT, it's what the order contains. A frema alone still counts as a part. A frame and a few parts still count as parts... but if those few parts are wheels, and a drivetrain, then they see it as a complete bike.

eg. December I helped a friend build up a new bike. He ordered everything from CRC except for front and rear shock.

His total CRC spend was around R22 000. He split his wishlist into 2 orders, not only to separate parts that could constitute a complete bike, but also because CRC had a £75 off when you spend £750 or more (so whether you have a £750 order or a £1700 order you only get £75 off... therefore make as many orders as close to £750 as possible).

The first order (totalling around R12 000) contained frame, seatpost, seatpost clamp, saddle, bars, stem, drivetrain, pedals. (basically everything minus fork, shock wheels and brakes). When it came he was only charged VAT and no duty as it was seen as parts (no wheels, so not a "bicycle").

The second order had the wheels and brakes. Again, No duty, only VAT.

So as long as you split your orders in a smart way, you can avoid the dreaded duty ;)

Edited by patches

Thanks Bru. I found a similar one that can do it via UPS for 162 or 220 with full insurance so think I will just go for that.

You are right though the issue is the voumetric weight... the actual package weight less than 5kg but the volumetric weight is nearly 30!!

I'd glady give you 220 towards your plane to ticket to bring it over for me. The frame will be in Wimbledon from tomorrow morning. Bring it next weekend and you can come and watch the opening round of the super 15.

Yes I already brought it. Costing me an arm and a leg! Once I add in shipping, taxes and the exchange rate it will be more that it costs here. Its a Specialized and they do not have my size in SA and cannot tell me when they will get stock. Shops in the UK will not ship internationally so I had to get it sent to a mate who will then send it to me. Pain in the ass.

Which online shop did you buy from? Quite a few ship to SA, and many of them have some or other form of free shipping

I got it from a shop called Sigma Sport in Kingston.It was my LBS when I lived in London. Trust me when I tell you that NO authorized Specialized dealer in the UK will ship internationally. It's against Specialized rules. They will ship plenty of other brands but not Spesh. Trek have the same rule.

I got it from a shop called Sigma Sport in Kingston.It was my LBS when I lived in London. Trust me when I tell you that NO authorized Specialized dealer in the UK will ship internationally. It's against Specialized rules. They will ship plenty of other brands but not Spesh. Trek have the same rule.

and Giant. Except there is a guy in Taiwan who has been doing so for a while...

and Giant. Except there is a guy in Taiwan who has been doing so for a while...

Doing what, further details please? I'm looking for somewhere that does giant frames(mtb)

Edited by Caerus

I don't understand why they won't ship out here? Surely its all sales and money at the end of the day?

I don't understand why they won't ship out here? Surely its all sales and money at the end of the day?

Seems silly I agree, but its about brand protection.

Doing what, further details please? I'm looking for somewhere that does giant frames(mtb)

Shipping internationally. Been following his blog for few years in fact. Lots of happy customers around the world.

Claims up to 35% off RRP.. Quite a few brands and accessories.

http://asteriskcycles.wordpress.com/

It's not the shops rule it's Specialized. I assume to protect the local RSA guys. Apparently they're pretty strict about it and if they find you breaking the rules will take away your agency. I heard it happened to a couple of shops in the US.