5150 Bela Bela

Garfield2010

Olympic Distance Races  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of R765 entry fee for an Olympic Distance Race?

• Its about right
    • It is very expensive and I can only choose a few races per year
    • It is totally nuts!!!!! I will have to find another sport!

Note that the event organiser receives 33% of Day Licence fees.

I have requested the Annual Financial Report from TSA today by email. They don't publish it on their website. Shall be interesting reading.

Also note that the Membership year runs from Sept to Aug, so your 2011/12 membership fee covers the 5150 event.

Oh brother..............

I thought we have already been down this road.

You have two choices. Find another sport or do triathlon - but first pick up the soap son..........

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is on top of the 5150 entry fee?

What will this be for Midlands. ie what is entry fee all in?

This fee is already included in the entry fee, except your day licence which you obviously have to buy. Buy one annually and its R300 for and adult and R200 for a scholar.

Damian

Guess that's me not doing your Suncoast event at the end of the month. Guess it's time to sell all the triathlon kit.

The TSA fee is included in the entry fee, however the day lic is something which you already have to buy.. its just going up! The Sanctioing fee included in the entry fees was mentioned so that joe public knows that ALL the entry fee money isn't going to the organisers... a large portion is going to TSA.

Edited by B-Active Sports

Hey Damian, so does that mean if you had to enter a race being Joe Public it would be R80 to TSA, then another R100 if longer than a standard distance plus the entry fee to do the race?

If so where does the additional R100 go to?? Does it go to the people organizing the race or back to TSA?

No, it will just mean you pay what you are paying: Entry fee + the day lic, however my mention of this subject was to illustrate to Joe Public that 1st: Day licence fees are going up! ALOT and so best you buy an annual TSA licence. and my 2nd point was to mention that the actual sanctioning fees (that are included in the entry fees) are also going up, which gives an explaination as to the higer entry fees being charged.

Triathlons are like doing 3 races in 1. Swim race + Cycle Race + Running race. So the costs to run these safely do add up and hence the entry fees are what they are.

Have a great weekend guys and hope to see you on the 22nd July (Durban Multisport Series) and the 6th October (Midlands ULTRA)

Cheers

Edited by B-Active Sports

So turns out I am not going to compete. It's ridiculous what it costs to do this event.

I cant find a decent Speedsuit, well, SWH have some Orca S3's, but nothing in my size @ R2500.

I am a MTB'er, so I need a road bike - my father gave his to me, but needs new shifters and tyres +/- @ R2000. ( a new entry-level Fuji = R2999)

So - Entry fee was R800...my maths tell me its a very very expensive "lets see if I like triathlons" .....Writing off the entry fee, rather than the other +/- R5000, and then I don't even like it....

Oh brother..............

I thought we have already been down this road.

You have two choices. Find another sport or do triathlon - but first pick up the soap son..........

Hi Garfield

Its interesting the 33% of the Day Lic has only just been pointed out to us and this was developed and implemented by TSA not even discussed by Event Organisers.

In 2013 we will be removing our portion (33% of the Day licence fees) and not charging competitors this to keep the costs lower for all competitors.

The rising costs has to stop and we will be doing our bit to try help.

My suggestion is that on the 1st of September 2012, anyone who wants a to do any Tri or Du races, buys an annual Triathlon Licence (same as road and MTB licences) as it is Easier, Cheaper and better for the sport. (the more registered athletes in a sport, the more support SASCOC gives that sport)

Train hard and hope to see you chaps on the 6th October @ the Midlands ULTRA

Cheers

Damian

So turns out I am not going to compete. It's ridiculous what it costs to do this event.

I'm with you on this one.

Also one less entry from this side.

I'm with you on this one.

Also one less entry from this side.

Writing off the R800, rather than spending R4000, and maybe not enjoying the sport..

Too bad we cant transfer or sell our entries.

IF everyone is complaining about TSA, why doesnt anyone start their own association ?

It recently happened in motorsport when a new motorsport association started (WOMZA) and MSA challenged them in court.

MSA lost the big court battle to WOMZA and both exist today.

B-Active you guys should look at this.

Hi Damian

That 33.3% is from Sept 2011. I have not yet seen the 2012 fees as not on the TSA site. It has been in effect for all your races this year. Perhaps you need to check if TSA owes you a refund!

I agree with you on becoming a registered athlete. It makes it easier for TSA to raise the profile of the sport, gives negotiating power with sponsors, and it works out a lot cheaper for the athlete. The online registration is super easy and you get your registration number immediately.

Cheers

Dave

so what do we get for being registered TSA athletes? we help TSA raise the profile of the sport? negotiating power with sponsors? what sponsors?? TSA has never brought any sponsors to the sport. if it wasn't for the Lotto grant (and we know why they got that) and of course the sanction fees and day license fees they charge the event organisers they would be broke. i have never seen another governing body that does so little for their respective sports. their only concern is money!! being a member of TSA means absolutely nothing just ask Dan Hugo

Edited by Face Plant

In principle, I would rather support the national association than not. (and it is cheaper based on the number of events I do.) The proviso to that is that they must do what they are mandated to do in a cost effective manner. Athletes cannot expect them to do a good job without revenue. The question is, what do they do with the revenue?

I currently don't have that information and prefer to make up my mind based on fact rather than the populist opinion. I eagerly await the Annual Report that I have requested from TSA.

do you honestly think that the annual financial report will be forth coming? i will eat humble pie if it is!! but as you i would love to see the numbers

So, turns out I am allowed to do the Bike section with my twenty naaaainer mtb, so now additional expenses there...might just use my entry then.