5150 Bela Bela

Garfield2010

Olympic Distance Races  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of R765 entry fee for an Olympic Distance Race?

• Its about right
    • It is very expensive and I can only choose a few races per year
    • It is totally nuts!!!!! I will have to find another sport!

I'm doing the 5150 this year. Yes I agree 150% very expensive BUT my wife and kids all really enjoyed the weekend last year. They liked the part where they sat in the beer tent and cheered me as I ran past. I also got a hot blonde from the VIP tent rush over and meet me at the finish line with a cold beer .... So it looks like this might become an annual fixture unless finances in the future dictate otherwise.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to do this as a one day event. It will be a long day but really the only financially sensible approach. Hopefully it will be worth the effort.

This will be my 1st Tri-Athlon... But I will only be coming up for the day... Luckily for me my wife will be driving there and back :thumbup:

Not sure if you guys have seen the new TSA fees applicable to all new events in 2012 and going forward. Not sure how to put the pdf price list on this post for everyone to see... but you need to read it. It was confirmed last night and the email was waiting for me in my inbox while a drank my morning coffee.

Basically if you do a std distance race and don't have a day licence, its R80 in levies for TSA and R100 for the Day licence, + the entry fee!!!

Sprint day Licence fees are R30 and Standard / Olympic and longer day licence fees are R100 per event.

Race Levies / Sanctioning fees (included in entry fees) range between R30 and R100 depending on the distance and level or the event.

We need athletes to see these figures as it explains why entry fees have gone up 30-40% in the last 2 years.

(ps ..let me kow how to post a pdf on here??)

Edited by B-Active Sports

Ok so I went insane and entered. Will be my first Tri....any tips, advice, bikes, wetsuites snorkels, flippers roids welcome :clap:

Ok so I went insane and entered. Will be my first Tri....any tips, advice, bikes, wetsuites snorkels, flippers roids welcome :clap:

If you survived paying that crazy amount then the race will be easy in comparison!!

Not sure if you guys have seen the new TSA fees applicable to all new events in 2012 and going forward. Not sure how to put the pdf price list on this post for everyone to see... but you need to read it. It was confirmed last night and the email was waiting for me in my inbox while a drank my morning coffee.

Basically if you do a std distance race and don't have a day licence, its R80 in levies for TSA and R100 for the Day licence, + the entry fee!!!

Sprint day Licence fees are R30 and Standard / Olympic and longer day licence fees are R100 per event.

Race Levies / Sanctioning fees (included in entry fees) range between R30 and R100 depending on the distance and level or the event.

We need athletes to see these figures as it explains why entry fees have gone up 30-40% in the last 2 years.

So this is on top of the 5150 entry fee?

What will this be for Midlands. ie what is entry fee all in?

If you survived paying that crazy amount then the race will be easy in comparison!!

I don't own a road bike nor a wet suit.

I mtb and run trail.

Did I make my point that this will be a sufferfest?

Damian

Guess that's me not doing your Suncoast event at the end of the month. Guess it's time to sell all the triathlon kit.

Guess it's time to sell all the triathlon kit.

What do you have available?

Hey Damian, so does that mean if you had to enter a race being Joe Public it would be R80 to TSA, then another R100 if longer than a standard distance plus the entry fee to do the race?

If so where does the additional R100 go to?? Does it go to the people organizing the race or back to TSA?

Hi Damian

Please can you post the PDF or the content for us.

Please can you clarify the levy. Is this paid by the race organiser or the athlete (ie included in entry fee or not).

Either way, R180 per competitor to TSA for an Olympic event is a really nice cash cow.

I have found the following on the TSA site (last years fees), nicely buried:

Fees Payable as from 1 September 2011

1. TSA/Provincial Event Sanctioning Fees

1.1 Provincial events

Per athlete entered: Payable to Province

Sprint R 15

Standard distance R25

Long distance R 50

1.2 National Series and TSA Property Events

Per athlete entered: Payable to TSA

Sprint R40

Standard distance R50

Long distance R 80

1.3 International including other TSA Property Events

Per athlete entered: Payable to TSA

Sprint R50

Standard distance R60

Long distance R 100

Team entry (for all types of events) = individual entry

2. Licence fee: (Hosting right per event)

Hosting Rights

Once off payment, in addition to all other fees

Provincial – R5 000

National – R20 000 (including Series, per event within the Series)

International – R30 000

Provinces may negotiate a reduced licence fee within a minimum/maximum range of R2 500 –

R5 000 per event.

3. Broadcasting Rights

R7 500 per event flighted on television (irrespective of the number of repeats)

(also applicable to provinces)

4. Day Licence Fee (Temporary TSA membership fee)

R70 per athlete

R30 per athlete in Series events (or other recreational/mass participation events)

Team entry = individual entry

The event organiser (Sponsor of Series events) remains responsible for collection and the proceeds

will be split â…“ to each of event organiser, province and TSA.

All fees relating to TSA Property Events and other International Events including all Day

Licence Fees will be collected by TSA. Provinces will attend to the collection of fees

relating to Provincial events. Collection amounts will be based on information on event

results unless otherwise arranged.

Edited by davem

Note that the event organiser receives 33% of Day Licence fees.

I have requested the Annual Financial Report from TSA today by email. They don't publish it on their website. Shall be interesting reading.

Also note that the Membership year runs from Sept to Aug, so your 2011/12 membership fee covers the 5150 event.