"Camping" routes - Western Cape

robmac

Hi,

I would like to do a 2/3 day self-sufficient (ie carry all your stuff) MTB route in the Western Cape. The idea is to no a "mini" freedom challnge like weekend route, with full self sufficiency and camping in the evening.

Around 50km per day riding etc. Decent camping spots in the evenings. and not central camp site with routes but rather one longer (ideally circular) route.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Rob

Look at the Cederberg, spots like Algeria, Sandrift etc.. a bit of research and I am sure you can put a cracker trip together

Thanks Foe,

was hoping to find someone who has done this sort of thing before and can give advice. Also interested in kit advice and how to carry. ie panier bags vs backpack etc. I know the freedom guys go backpack but I am not keen to do any major hike-a-bike so this may change things.

cederberg loop is the way to go for this.

algeria, clanwilliam, pakhuis pass, wuppertal, sanddrif, algeria.

could race it in a day, cruise for 3 or enjoy it for 6. i haven't done it personally, but it's a tried and tested route.

no planning/permission required. if you have a good rack and panniers that's first prize. otherwise suck it up and put it all in the pack.

tents and other camping stuff is heavy, depends on group sizes. probably better to sleep open air or get cottages.

How about starting in Somerset West and going over the Wagon Trail into Grabouw. Camp at the Country Club. Day 2 you ride to Bot River, through Oak Valley , Thandi, Lebanon and down the old Pass. Day 3 to Kleinmond, through the Elgin Valley. Get picked up at Kleinmond. If you want to start close to Cape Town and not venture too far , this might be an idea. You could also ride in the Elgin Valley on Day 2 and camp at Oak Lane Cottages, very nice spot.

By the way, have a 29er Touring frame available, with panier mounts on the back.

Look at the Cederberg, spots like Algeria, Sandrift etc.. a bit of research and I am sure you can put a cracker trip together

Agreed! I am not a MTB'r but def suggest Ceres, Bains Kloof area. So many beut mountains (again not sure of MTB routes but camping is amazing!) Can use Tweede Tol as a base, or also Pinetree in Ceres.

Edited by firewolf

I'm also interested...

I've been looking at teh Freedom challenge route...

Spesically a 2day route from Montagu back towards Cape town area.

Go to Freeom challenge website and see what you can muster up...

I think you'll have to pay for the maps/ route info but it might be worth it!!

Let me knwo what you have discovered & decided.

Personally - I would not do the Cederberg loop just yet! (I've been camping at Sandrift over the past 3 Decembers and it gets bloody hot & dry...too much for anything other than a day outing!

Good topic! I am also very interested in this type of touring. You can probably allow for a bit longer distance (70-90km) without making it a mission depending on what type of terrain you're covering. I have a lightweight rear carrier which can be attached to the seatpost and can take 7kg. Basically all you need to carry is a small tent (2.5kg) sleeping bag (1.0kg) camping mattress (.7kg) small gas stove and kettle (for coffee/soup/porridge/noodles) and a bit of "dry rations". The rest you can carry in a small cycling backpack. I haven't yet toured this way but will definitely be doing it this year. I have tried the option of B&B's and carrying everything in the backpack but it's quite tough on the back and shoulders. It is the absolute best way to see the country, what I would really like to do (and will do one day) is to travel through europe this way.

so many options here, i REALLY think this sort of mtbing is going to get quite popular soon. just hope people don't stuff up the concept with trespassing. if you're going in cape summer, forget the tent if it really rains then plan a head and find shelter.

freedomchallenge site is down, it's getting sorted and close to fixed.

otherwise here is us getting off the shosholoza meyl in laingsburg, rode back to wellington from there

post-1830-0-34469400-1329895711.jpg

http://theblanketsag...hots-up_16.html

Cederberg, starting at Algeria! was there last month. Just remember, no MTB on the hiking routes, MTB's only allowed on the Jeep Track.

I live in Hermanus and ride the routes around Elim, B bos, Struis and Malgas often. The riding there is a bit more forgiving than the Cederberg, would be a good place to test kit and get some experience. The farmers are also quite friendly if things go wrong.

let me know when you want to this because I am very keen. I always wanted to kit my MTB with paniers and go out into the wild. I've hicked at Grootvadersbos before and would make a very nice route to ride. Its wildernes area so only a few people are allowed in the mountain at any given time. I must just find out if MTB's are allowed. Somewhere on top of the mountain is two small concrete huts that are called Royal hotel. I will post some pics later

Edited by headhunter2000

I've done a very nice 2 day training ride from Montagu to Warmwaterberg via Ouberg Pass. We did a out and back ride. Camping at Warmwaterberg is also quite nice with the hotwater springs. See route here:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/956541

I see that its also at the langeberg? very nice place. Grootvaders is also situated in the same region.