Spoke nipples breaking out of rim

andydude

Hi Hub! My friend took his wheels in for a realignment, due to a fall, two weeks ago and in Sunday's race two of the nipples broke through the rear rim, while at other places you can see the cracks in the rim around the nipple. He can't remember if those cracks were there before the initial fall and before the realignment. His front wheel doesn't have those cracks. What do you think of this? Could it have been caused by over tightening the spokes/nipples? It looks quite bad!

post-12446-0-10227000-1330411550.jpg

post-12446-0-09565900-1330411559.jpg

post-12446-0-60760800-1330411567.jpg

Spokes too tight coupled with aluminum fatigue.

Edit: had that start happening to my back wheel and I replaced the rim.

Edit 2; this happens over time, not just from straightening and a month later this happening.

Edited by Tiny K

Well....it is an Alexrim.

PING: MR Bornman!

Dead straight Alex Rims are cheap, time for new rims :)

Those are fatigue cracks - metal fatigue. Very common on high-mileage wheels. A rim is in effect, a consumable and it is time for a new rim.

You cannot pull a spoke out of a rim by overtightening it, the nipple will strip long before the rim cracks. During a wheelbuild, we perform a stress relieve that forcefully stretches the spoke and I've never had a rim suffer damage from that.

Although Alexrims are cheap, there is no agent for them in ZA and finding an exact replacement is neigh impossible. A generic substitute is also difficult, since the rims need to have exactly the same Effective Rim Diameter (ERD) measurement otherwise the spokes will be too long or too short.

Those cracks were definitely there before the fall, but the mechanic should have spotted them since they make the wheel very difficult to true. He was careless and clueless.

Nothing wrong with Alexrims- I've had set of DA28's with Novatec hubs for about 8 years now and they still run smooth. Must say they lasted much longer than my set of Ksyrium SL's :eek:

Nothing wrong with Alexrims- I've had set of DA28's with Novatec hubs for about 8 years now and they still run smooth. Must say they lasted much longer than my set of Ksyrium SL's :eek:

Reg my new bike also has alex rims with Wheeltech "novatech" hubs, but lets face it sure they are tough as hell require no maintenance but they weigh a ton :) so should be ordering a new sparkly set this week hopefully.For now however they will do.

Reg my new bike also has alex rims with Wheeltech "novatech" hubs, but lets face it sure they are tough as hell require no maintenance but they weigh a ton :) so should be ordering a new sparkly set this week hopefully.For now however they will do.

Bread & water for you this month then, I've already started by diet, lol.

Bread & water for you this month then, I've already started by diet, lol.

This cycling hobby has me on a starch only diet for 2 years already, nothing like bread and potatoes.

This cycling hobby has me on a starch only diet for 2 years already, nothing like bread and potatoes.

The Irish did it and they seem OK :whistling: