Which Pill helps with Cramping?

kandui

I read an interesting theory that a shortage of electrolytes causes cramping. The signals between your brain and muscles are relayed through electrolites. It is almost like sal water can rely electricity a lot better than normal water can.

Should these electrolytes/salts then get flushed out of the system then the signals are broken and hence the cramp.

THats why salt tablets are basically cramp preventive pills........

Interesting...............

So if you drink only water theoretically you should start to cramp eventually.

At one stage I used to take salt and vinegar chips on rides with me and thinking back it actually helped!

That may well have been same paper I read - I think I recall it was a properly conducted study, which had associated altered brain/neural activity with onset of cramps, but not proved conclusively the root cause.

Hey - if it gives you an excuse to eat S&V crisps, go for it and enjoy! I might carry some droe wors on the same justification ;)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cramped for 17 years, basically tried everything. The theory I have eventually settled on, is the same as Garfield2010 said above. It's basically illustrated like this: you sweat out water and electrolytes, but drink only water to 'rehydrate'. If the water (or your choice rehydration formula you drink) does not replace these electrolytes at the rate you are sweating them out, you start cramping, which gets worse over time.

The solution which helped me the most, was to dissolve a normal Salt Tablet into my bottles or throw 3 of them into my CamelBak bladder. It works like a charm, but I believe we also cramp for different reasons. Funny thing is the salt tablets are the cheapest option, which work after years of experimenting with various things including Calcium Sandoz-Forte, Spirulina tablets, Slow Mag, more training, stretching etc.etc.

The USN Cramp Stop tablets work for me OK too, but are expensive. I get the same relief from using salt tablets. Buy them at Dischem.

I urge you to try this before you criticise my suggestion. After cramping for 17 years, I have managed to ride for the past 6 years with much reduced cramps. They have not totally gone away, but are completelly manageable.

Cheers,

Guys I have found a proven and cheap solution to the problem.

As a matter of fact, it is free.........

Go and fill one of your bottles up with sea water before every race.

Not only will you not cramp, your days of suffering from constipation will also be over -- guaranteed

Guys I have found a proven and cheap solution to the problem.

As a matter of fact, it is free.........

Go and fill one of your bottles up with sea water before every race.

Not only will you not cramp, your days of suffering from constipation will also be over -- guaranteed

very good, this will also help with weight-loss :)

I cramped for 17 years, basically tried everything. The theory I have eventually settled on, is the same as Garfield2010 said above. It's basically illustrated like this: you sweat out water and electrolytes, but drink only water to 'rehydrate'. If the water (or your choice rehydration formula you drink) does not replace these electrolytes at the rate you are sweating them out, you start cramping, which gets worse over time.

The solution which helped me the most, was to dissolve a normal Salt Tablet into my bottles or throw 3 of them into my CamelBak bladder. It works like a charm, but I believe we also cramp for different reasons. Funny thing is the salt tablets are the cheapest option, which work after years of experimenting with various things including Calcium Sandoz-Forte, Spirulina tablets, Slow Mag, more training, stretching etc.etc.

The USN Cramp Stop tablets work for me OK too, but are expensive. I get the same relief from using salt tablets. Buy them at Dischem.

I urge you to try this before you criticise my suggestion. After cramping for 17 years, I have managed to ride for the past 6 years with much reduced cramps. They have not totally gone away, but are completelly manageable.

Cheers,

Makes sense. I sweat a lot and thought along the same lines as you have. Will give the Salt tablets a try as well.

Looking back at my original post, I thought I had made it quite clear what I was asking.

Cheers,

For anyone who's identified salt deficiency as a main cause, it's also worth looking at the make-up of any energy drink you use. The sodium levels can vary quite a lot, and quite a few brands have a much higher content (~200mg per serving) than what many gels and drinks do (~50 to 80mg).

I'm not suggesting anyone should load up on salt without checking into whether it's the problem, and possible long term health effects. But drinks vary a lot on their content.

Edited by walkerr

Makes sense. I sweat a lot and thought along the same lines as you have. Will give the Salt tablets a try as well.

Looking back at my original post, I thought I had made it quite clear what I was asking.

I apologize for not recommending some pilletjie and for trying to save some people's hard earned money (and maybe their kidneys). I'll also try not imply that the supplement industry is mostly a well exploited venture in marketing and money making.

:whistling:

I apologize for not recommending some pilletjie and for trying to save some people's hard earned money (and maybe their kidneys). I'll also try not imply that the supplement industry is mostly a well exploited venture in marketing and money making.

:whistling:

Cannot aree more.

Eat red meat, drink beer and HTFU.

Will put on my loin cloth, grab my executioners club and go and find myself a cow. Skin it , cut out the heart and eat it raw. Then take a bite out of the liver for some extra iron. Take home some chunks of meat and on the way back find an old saltworks and chop out a piece. Make fire with a flint, cover myself with a bear skin and dream of the simple life where nature provides everything I need and a world free of snake oil merchants. Sounds like Planet Zug.

Will put on my loin cloth, grab my executioners club and go and find myself a cow. Skin it , cut out the heart and eat it raw. Then take a bite out of the liver for some extra iron. Take home some chunks of meat and on the way back find an old saltworks and chop out a piece. Make fire with a flint, cover myself with a bear skin and dream of the simple life where nature provides everything I need and a world free of snake oil merchants. Sounds like Planet Zug.

Ja just dont forget to also drink your own pee

Ja just dont forget to also drink your own pee

Make sure the marshals don't catch you filling your bottle, or you'll risk a DQ .... ;)

Dont forget to hit your wench over the head wif club and drag her home by the hair... :blink:

Make sure the marshals don't catch you filling your bottle, or you'll risk a DQ .... ;)

Ja, you are not allowed any outside assitance ... even if it is by way of the weaner.........

I've never cramped while listening to Pill Liggett. Not even during le Tour. Trouble is, it's only available for 3 weeks during July.

I've never cramped while listening to Pill Liggett. Not even during le Tour. Trouble is, it's only available for 3 weeks during July.

PVR and rip it to your iPod ... might be a bit odd though riding up Helshoogte listening to descriptions of the medieval churches in towns that the Tour goes through.