Single Speed Cyclocross Bike

ren8gor

I am hatching a plan to build a single speed bike based on a old school steel track frame.

I am considering kitting it out with flat bars and cyclocross wheels,

Asides from the inherently steep frame angles, do you guys think it could work for MTB SS events?

That can only be answered by yourself knowing your skill levels.

Make sure that track frame can take a wider profile / knobbly tyre ....

That can only be answered by yourself knowing your skill levels.

Make sure that track frame can take a wider profile / knobbly tyre ....

And brakes

And brakes

True a proper cyclocross bike has decent brakes and I am not certain std roadie brakes would work on a wider tyre .... but then again this is a track frame so would not have any brake bosses at all then!

True a proper cyclocross bike has decent brakes and I am not certain std roadie brakes would work on a wider tyre .... but then again this is a track frame so would not have any brake bosses at all then!

I dont think it is a workable idea

Yeah thought about the issue of tyre width and that may well be a constraint.

With regards brakes, was thinking something center pull to get some power on it.

Haven't taken delivery of the frame yet, so not sure if it has holes drilled in fork and cross brace on chainstays to accept brakes.

If not, it should be a simple fix to drill it out. May need reinforcement though, particularly on the rear.

Sounds like what you're trying to build is a rigid 29er on a track frame, its not going to happen:

1. Your fork: no tyre clearance, no bosses for cantis, not up to the kind of hits you'll take off road.

2. Your frame: no type clearance, no bosses for cantos, all the wrong angles..

Get yourself a set of tiny shorts, a flock of Seagulls haircut and turn it into a hipster fixie.

Have to agree with Schmoose. Going to have clearance issues, and the angles mean that you'll have toe overlap with your front wheel, not a great idea when riding off road...

I had to google "a flock of Seagulls haircut" and now I am sorry that I did

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/50/fe/50fe42c01910a43c8c10052317fe014d.jpg

You don't need cantis - I replaced mine with V brakes and boosters.

The problems will be:

- front fork won't have clearance for a 33mm+ tyre (you could buy a CX one, though);

- no bosses front or back to mount cantis or V brakes - no mud clearance for side-pulls;

- wrong headset angle in the front;

- no clearance at back for a 33mm+ tyre;

- cabling probably runs under the frame (not on top like a Cx/MTB);

- lower BB clearance than on a CX bike.

I think what we are all saying is that you might be in for a world of pain and disappointment should you pursue this project.

This based on our utterly professional expertise with decades of hands on experience designing and developing bicycles.

I think what we are all saying is that you might be in for a world of pain and disappointment should you pursue this project.

This based on our utterly professional expertise with decades of hands on experience designing and developing bicycles.

And the fact that some of us have CX bikes that we have carefully compared with our standard road bikes... :ph34r:

Yep, that's what i wanted to hear. Better to get the facts from those that have been before.

Hipster Fixie look it will be then sans the fixie bit. Will go for freewheel option,.

Nice winter trainer for those mellow pedals around the neighborhoods on rainy windy days too.

Can do it with Flock of seagulls playing in the headphones.

Will give the "nuthuggers" and crazy hair a miss though!!!!

And the fact that some of us have CX bikes that we have carefully compared with our standard road bikes... :ph34r:

And some of us have 29er MTB's with CX tyres on roadie wheels, and have tried those wheels on a track frame. Oh, yes, some of us have also seen our arses with toe overlap, trying to u turn said track bike on narrow lane, with fixed gear... :)

I am hatching a plan to build a single speed bike based on a old school steel track frame.

I am considering kitting it out with flat bars and cyclocross wheels,

Asides from the inherently steep frame angles, do you guys think it could work for MTB SS events?

CX bike can handle trails UNLESS they are very rocky, you will likely get a puncture/rim damage on very rocky sections