Anyone watched the 70.3 highlights on DSTV?

Garfield2010

At my age the podium is something for the youngsters so I prefer a bit of tea party. The best part of a triathlon is the swim and run section up close, personal and the run can be very sociable. As for the cycle leg YUCK. I cant think of anything worse than spending 6 hours on training cycle on a Sunday on your own ????

Ja a lot of guys always rant and rave about the individual sport and how tough it is being an IM and how special that makes them etc, yet almost everyone road in bunches in E.L.

IM used to be this super selected superior group of guys... I have got news guys, whilst a few years back you were part of a few thousand club, you are now part of a few hundred thousand club.......... boooohoooooh not so special now are we??? Even me the Garf have done a full IM!!!

Now go climb everest or something that really seperates you from other people.....

Or run the Hobbit 105km trail run like I have done and then comment on superiority. The Garf is an superior being. Klaar gepraat.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Garfield ...Well Spotted....LOL

The name thing is funny sortof, I suck at every sport I do and when I decided to choose a name I thought that... well it being a cycling forum then WHEEL would fit and "SUCK" is what I do well at sport. So wheelsuck. If this was a running site I would have chosen SHOESUCK i guess....or if it was a swimming site...well then it would just be straight DROWN.

NOW With Tri I can suck at 3 Sports at Once.

Haha

When I first started road cycling I called myself the "masked tape worm". Must say it sounds a lot better in afrikaans "die gemaskerde lintwurm"

I agree. Why not have the motorcycles etc use the emergency lane? Good idea man!!

Or cap the race at 1,700 as it was before........... (Garfield hears a song in the background "its all about the money do di do dum")

The same happens with the Troisports Germiston race... Technically only 5km's of roads are closed one lane each way. 600 athletes on this bit of road gets a bit much..........

I was on one of those bunches on the way back to EL. CRAZY. No way you could out. At one stage the bunch used both lanes and you could not get away!

I decided to fall back and relax. No way you are going to cycle away from a bunch that big, and the guys did stupid stuff in the bunch – accident waiting to happen.

The reason I got in to Triathlons was the to get away from the crazy road cycling bunches and on the 70.3 I was in the biggest one I have even been in!

Edited by GSNieP

Again my question then is if they should not cap the race number like in the past?

It is obvious that the rules are broken blatently and safety is an issue yet they turn a blind eye as long as the bank accounts are filled up......

I would love to know how the organisers would explain a group crash of 15 people!!!???

Ja a lot of guys always rant and rave about the individual sport and how tough it is being an IM and how special that makes them etc, yet almost everyone road in bunches in E.L.

IM used to be this super selected superior group of guys... I have got news guys, whilst a few years back you were part of a few thousand club, you are now part of a few hundred thousand club.......... boooohoooooh not so special now are we??? Even me the Garf have done a full IM!!!

Now go climb everest or something that really seperates you from other people.....

Or run the Hobbit 105km trail run like I have done and then comment on superiority. The Garf is an superior being. Klaar gepraat.

I must be honest, I don't care if the whole field drafts. Its still an individual sport for me and those that draft and feel good about themselves for finishing with a PB- good for them. I am proud to have finished the race without anyone's help and I still see it as a major achievement. And I feel special. :w00t:

Edited by ADe

The problem with the non drafting rules is it gets kinda lonely out there on the road. If I do 70.3 this means I am gonna be cycling for 3h20 at least. Full would take me 7h ... all that time checking out some oke's butt 10m in front of me. hmmm not much fun. These days you cant even wear an ipod anymore so the only thing you gonna hear is a ref passing you by, seagulls or the guy in front of you grunting. The one thing I really like about normal cycle races etc it gets really interesting in the bunch oke's passing comments telling jokes etc etc its really quite a different experience.

Its called IRONMAN .... for a reason

So, I have climbed Everest, can I get special Treatment at IM now? :-)

John, can't recall, have you done the 7 or is it not something you are aiming for?

So, I have climbed Everest, can I get special Treatment at IM now? :-)

Depends... did you draft whilst climbing up Everest?

hboli4 - I have done 6 of the, will get around to the 7th (vonson), but not a priority.

garfield 2010 - sadly, no drafting on Everest.

hboli4 - I have done 6 of the, will get around to the 7th (vonson), but not a priority.

I attended one of your talks in 2005 at CUM, inspired me to do Kili. Have done Aconcagua and Elbrus(North Side) since. Not too hung up on the 7(can't see where I'll get the $ for Everest,Vinson,Carstenz) but will give Denali a go. Would love to do more climbing in Russia, loved it there.

garfield 2010 - sadly, no drafting on Everest.

There is a simple solution.

The refs must just use a Paintball gun to mark the drafters. When you get to transition covered in red paint, you get a 20 minute penalty. Try running after standing still for 20 minutes.

Garf, you were trying so hard to keep up, you were actually seeing two of me. I was actually drafting myself.