Roadies

Yesterday, on my way to Northern Farms, I had to make a quick stop at Lanseria.

Just past the Sasol Garage on the left the roadies from the Cycle Lab group ride started coming from the front.

I was(nt) surprised to see how many of the oncoming traffic were driving in the middle of the road to avoid hitting these riders. I thought it was good courtesy from the drivers.

Only when I came back, I realised these courteous drivers were forced to the middle of the road as the roadies were riding 4,5 next to each other, with no worries that a car may hit them from behind.

I wish Cycle Lab would speak to these riders, informing them that the road does not belong to only us, but to cars as well.

I thought after the many accidents lately, each and every rider would be more careful, but it doesn't seem to bother them.

Who will explain what happened when 2 cars collide as a result of this?

Don't get me wrong, I love riding my MTB, but hell, I always take my own safety into consideration when I absolutely have to use the road.

Maybe it's an arrogance thing, or just plain stupidity. In the same breath, kudos to those who actually rode behind each other and did not cause a possible accident scene.

Dude, phone the Cycle Lab contact for the club in the area that you're in. They try to keep their members in line, and have been known to throw out repeat offenders...

They do try to take the whole single file thing quite seriously.

"They do try to take the whole single file thing quite seriously. "

Look, where possible I have no problem with it at all, but these guys were blatantly grouping where its impossible, forcing cars to drive in the middle of the road.

Even if Cycle Lab throw out repeat offenders, how old are these guys that their babysitter have to tell them to behave.

"They do try to take the whole single file thing quite seriously. "

Look, where possible I have no problem with it at all, but these guys were blatantly grouping where its impossible, forcing cars to drive in the middle of the road.

Even if Cycle Lab throw out repeat offenders, how old are these guys that their babysitter have to tell them to behave.

Dude, I agree with you. But, if you're wishing the club would bring them into line, it's up to you to report it (as a concerned citizen)

Trust me - they will take it further.

Just proves again how deer di k@k cycle lab is - believe what you want but, its my opinion and i've had to many bad experiences with cycle lab shop and club.

Harsh on Cyclelab, the management take road safety very seriously but cannot monitor each and every group. I have a cyclelab top which i bought in the store a few years back, so if i did wear it and rode like an idiot poor cyclelab will get the blame.

On another note on my way to a MTB race this morning i passed a large group of cyclists on the road from one of the East Rand clubs (unlike cyclelab you can only buy the kit through the club) who were also riding in a similar fashion, so no its not unique to cyclelab

On another note on my way to a MTB race this morning i passed a large group of cyclists on the road from one of the East Rand clubs (unlike cyclelab you can only buy the kit through the club) who were also riding in a similar fashion, so no its not unique to cyclelab...........

And, lo, it is written: whenever two or three are gathered together in cycling's name......

......so shall they ride two or three abreast.

I've seen roadies ride like this, and I've seen MTB riders at Northern Farm ride towards me on both sides of a double trail.

My GF had a nasty crash there when a double brest riding group of 10 or 12 came towards her and only "kept left" at the last minute. Sadly the dozy sap at the back didn't see the others moving over and was still on her side when they collided. She had slowed right down (but shouldn't have had to). She ended up with some nasty bruises and a damaged bike.

I don't see why there is the whole thing between Road cyclist and Mtb cyclist. I cycle whatever I can pedal. I am a cyclist.

This argument is more a trajectory to how superior and awesome Mtb cyclist is, rather than how roadies are supposed to cycle.

But then again as a cyclist myself we have this tendency to think we are superior to others. Thus we cycle like we are superiors on the road, as we cycle like superiors off the road. Just different playgrounds.

Just proves again how deer di k@k cycle lab is - believe what you want but, its my opinion and i've had to many bad experiences with cycle lab shop and club.

This moronic reply shows you have no clue what you are talking about. Where do your two brain cells make the connection between some cyclists who may (or may not) be Cycle Lab members riding badly and the club being deur die ***?

I once broke up a fist fight between two Standard Bank club members and a passing motorist phoned Cycle Lab to say he had seen their members fighting in the road. The biggest target is always the easiest to shoot for.

Well some ppl are born with out brains. On the MyCiti bus this morning the driver had to slam on brakes as 2 fools on a tnadem in Rapid sports gear just turned in front of the bus. They did not even look to see if it was safe to turn. They almost lost thier lives.

This moronic reply shows you have no clue what you are talking about. Where do your two brain cells make the connection between some cyclists who may (or may not) be Cycle Lab members riding badly and the club being deur die ***?

I once broke up a fist fight between two Standard Bank club members and a passing motorist phoned Cycle Lab to say he had seen their members fighting in the road. The biggest target is always the easiest to shoot for.

My bad experiences with cycle lab is not directed to this incident he's talking about , but ones that gets my blood boiling when i hear the name. Freedom of speech, every person is entitled to their own opinion. You might do your best to help promote safe cycling and i believe you but...

Edited by CyclingJan

Guys, the issue is not so much against CL as a club/shop, but against the riders.

Fact is, if I had to stop and instruct these riders to form a line, I would have been laughed off, but if CL tells them to, they might listen.

IMHO - you either gonna have 50 riders 5 by 10, or 2 x 25... and 25 riders behind each other is long. I think these massive groups thing shold be limited to 20 riders and more distributed.

Thats why i feel the way i do, myself and a couple of guys were on a sunday ride and they pushed us of the road rudely and had snotty comments when they came past in a group as wide as texas.

Thats why.... The actual Shop I can live with.

Edited by CyclingJan