Argus 2012 - Bad luck stories?

W@nna-BE

Hey Hubbers,

thought is would be funny to share our little bad luck stories so far for this year..... hope nothing serious has happened to anyone thought...

here mine.....

so i fetch my bike from Elliots, we staying a few km's from the where i fetch the bike so i recon let me strap on the cleats and ride it home quickly

well i get home and notice my shoes are pulling apart at the heels :( ........... so i say to the wife well sorry but we need to head back to the madness of the expo ( which she did not really enjoy ) to get a new pair of shoes...

bought my first pair of SIDI :) got a pair of white Vernice

now to swap the cleats..... eish !!

Edited by W@nna-BE

It's not Bad Luck if SWMBO allows you to buy a new set of SIDIs :w00t: I had to be happy with my set of Shimano's.

yup its about time that i buy my own pair ( old DMT's came with the bike lol), had promised myself a pair of SIDI once i broke 3 hours on my first 100km+ race, lucky i did not have to wait for that, those "last 10 minutes" are tough to shave off lol

yes. get a allan key to start hahahahaha

MY BAD LUCK, DID NOT DO SEEDING, MISSED OUT ON THE ARGUS LAST YEAR, MY START TIME 10H00, OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Hubbers,

thought is would be funny to share our little bad luck stories so far for this year..... hope nothing serious has happened to anyone thought...

here mine.....

so i fetch my bike from Elliots, we staying a few km's from the where i fetch the bike so i recon let me strap on the cleats and ride it home quickly

well i get home and notice my shoes are pulling apart at the heels :( ........... so i say to the wife well sorry but we need to head back to the madness of the expo ( which she did not really enjoy ) to get a new pair of shoes...

bought my first pair of SIDI :) got a pair of white Vernice

now to swap the cleats..... eish !!

Great shoes. Congrats.

Guest Frail4Life

Having to unpack the suitcase I was meant to use in CPT right now.

Eish! No Ride?

spring in derailleur broke on Boyes drive,got it to Simons town but the mechanics couldn't fix it. tried converting it to a fixie which also didn't work :(

edit:typo

Edited by Above Average Joe

So i started in B. Within 2km from the start there were 2 crashes in from of me.

Had to unclip one foot both times. That's my race done before reaching hospital bend.

Came in @ 3h13.

spring in derailleur broke on Boyes drive,got it to Simons town but the mechanics couldn't fix it. tried converting it to a fixie which also didn't work :(

edit:typo

So i started in B. Within 2km from the start there were 2 crashes in from of me.

Had to unclip one foot both times. That's my race done before reaching hospital bend.

Came in @ 3h13.

Not great to hear guys........ but at least you weren't involved in any of the crashes :thumbup:

That's my race done before reaching hospital bend.

Came in @ 3h13.

Dude, let me help you out of your misery - "Race done" and "came in" does not belong together.

On the other hand... if you have your earliest start yet, it's a great day and you're in good shape, to break the record for the shortest ever Argus is very likely mine.

Got going, group was flying out the blocks and as I shifted over to the big blade before the bridge (the 1st one your ride underneath!), I heard my chain being thrown off. So I shout chain, try to pick it up with the deraileur, nothing... Coasting on momentum under the bridge I go to the side as the group goes past and realise... stuuupid, you shifted up, so somehow the bl**dy chain dropped to the outside, of course. Not likely, but sheet happens... So no luck other than stopping and putting the chain back on. Look down to confirm, coasting all the while... only to see no chain!

Looking back, I could not even see the thing. THAT's what you call "race done" - I did not even make the first timing mats! Stopped after the bridge and began the walk back to the Waterfront. Was back in Paarl in time to see the elites finish.

Came in @ 3h13.

Glad you did not crash, Winrgy...

Having a few big blade cuts across your fore arm is a lil' worse than your experience. :blush:

Dude, let me help you out of your misery - "Race done" and "came in" does not belong together.

On the other hand... if you have your earliest start yet, it's a great day and you're in good shape, to break the record for the shortest ever Argus is very likely mine.

Got going, group was flying out the blocks and as I shifted over to the big blade before the bridge (the 1st one your ride underneath!), I heard my chain being thrown off. So I shout chain, try to pick it up with the deraileur, nothing... Coasting on momentum under the bridge I go to the side as the group goes past and realise... stuuupid, you shifted up, so somehow the bl**dy chain dropped to the outside, of course. Not likely, but sheet happens... So no luck other than stopping and putting the chain back on. Look down to confirm, coasting all the while... only to see no chain!

Looking back, I could not even see the thing. THAT's what you call "race done" - I did not even make the first timing mats! Stopped after the bridge and began the walk back to the Waterfront. Was back in Paarl in time to see the elites finish.

Aggeneee!!!

I sort-of think I used a different term... or two. :whistling:

Oh and PS - thanks a stack to the guy from (I think...?) Omnico that tried to help me. Said they had a stalletjie and explained where, but try as I might, I could not find it! Even offered to give me the chain and call me afterwards to sort out the finances.

After that I was so gatvol/bed*nnird/disappointed that I just "steamed" my way back to the WF... esp. having gotten my hopes up again - because since I didn't even cross the timing mats, I could simply join another group.