MTB vs. Road helmets...the difference?

Palaeodom

Looking for a new helmet and found some good deals but what is the really the difference between road and MTB helmets? apart from the addition of a visor.

Most people i've seen seem to wear either for anything except AM and DH which need full face etc.

Does XC require a MTB specific lid?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping the answer is yes, I've been wanting an excuse for a new helmet for a while now. Already know the one I want.

A couple of the MTB lids also have more protection for the lower back of your head.

A couple of the MTB lids also have more protection for the lower back of your head.

Any ones in particular? Most of them look pretty similar in photos but perhaps MTB ones look a little more robust, although i'm not sure why... cars or tarmac is fairly unforgiving stuff.

I've never found the visors to be of any use.

Don't think i've seen many oaks keep the visors either

yup! trail helmets like the Fox Flux or Giro Xar

I've never found the visors to be of any use.

They stop you from looking like a spaz!

Imagine a trail lid without a visor

Edited by patches

Mine usually come off with the first tree I hit. The last Bell I bought came with a visor, but also had little inserts to put in the holes if you didn't want to use it.

Any ones in particular? Most of them look pretty similar in photos but perhaps MTB ones look a little more robust, although i'm not sure why... cars or tarmac is fairly unforgiving stuff.

The Giro Xen comes to mind.

Where can you get spez helmets...don't think i've seen them around? This is an AM geared helmet. Depending on how often you fall off do you think you'd need this for XC....

I suppose better have and not need it than need it and not have it....

yup! trail helmets like the Fox Flux or Giro Xar

They stop you from looking like a spaz!

Imagine a trail lid without a visor

I once this idiot saw this idiot doing Green Mile with a full-face. Not that's spaz.

I took my visor off.. was getting in the way of my vision.. Totally useless with regards to sun protection too.. Maybe its the "look".. Im not sure there is much of a difference..

I once this idiot saw this idiot doing Green Mile with a full-face. Not that's spaz.

I think that idiot saw another idiot clip a tree stump on green mile and dent a helmet :lol:

I keep my visor on, helps me when riding at night, if a car comes from front with his brights on I can "look down" and block the lights from blinding me

I have the Bell also where they supplyt the little pugs for the holes...dont use it

Visors are very useful when you hit a tree full face as they bend and dig into your nose bridge - that way you wont notice your very expensive buckled front wheel!!!!!