To raw or not to raw??

mad bout mtb

Choices  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What do to?

• Raw the frame
    • Raw and polish the frame
    • Leave it painted

Been wanting to raw my frame for a long time just because its staring to look boring and old plus the silver would match my color scheme.

Pics of how it looks now:

post-6162-0-83028600-1331650713.jpg

post-6162-0-15172500-1331650754.jpg

My Intense 5.5 came "raw" out of the factory, and I really like the look of it. It is six years old now, and still looks very good.

Might be challenging to strip all the paint, without any rubbing or sanding as sanding will make the "raw" finish look bad.

I have received many compliments on my bike out on the trail, never received bad comments, perhaps my sculpted guns keep the naysayers quiet :-)

there's an option not on your list, and that's "strip and repaint"... i have seen a matte black reign of the same model year, and it looks seriously hot...

Mr Mad, you've seen my rawed Morewood. That was without sanding. Paint stripper and steel wool, that's all!

post-10758-13316556873292.jpg

post-10758-13316557387265.jpg

Mr Mad, you've seen my rawed Morewood. That was without sanding. Paint stripper and steel wool, that's all!

post-10758-13316556873292.jpg

post-10758-13316557387265.jpg

I like the brushed look, still can't bare to part with my old frame just because they always look good. The wheels somehow look massive on your bike?

@ Patches- did you put any sort of clear coat on it? has it oxidized at all?

Yea I'm not the original owner so i'm not bothered about the warranty.

/mini highjack on

what sort of cost would i be looking at if i had to strip and repaint a carbon frame, and can anyone recomend someone in KZN?

highjack off/

Raw for sure. Did it to my DH bike. Lots of paint stripper and brass pot scourers. Then when it was all off I polished it with fine steel wool. Don't use sand paper as you will never get the scratches out. And wear gloves otherwise you will need new hands. I am thinking about getting it polished at an aluminium factory. Or red anodised...

@ Bushgoblin. I would be extremely leery of stripping a carbon frame! firstly often the stuff that you think is paint is often actually the epoxy resin which binds all the carbon strands together which has had pigment added to it to make it a particular colour. From my work with Carbon, i would also be terrified of taking it to somewhere for chemical stripping as you have no idea what that stuff will do to the polymerisation of the epoxy resin (might decide to go liquid again) So if you do it. be super sure that the guys that do it actually know what they are doing. maybe try and find out from the guys that race motorcycles with carbon fairings etc where they take them for painting?

@ Patches- did you put any sort of clear coat on it? has it oxidized at all?

Yea I'm not the original owner so i'm not bothered about the warranty.

Mad, nope, no clear coat. Just stripped. you could clearcoat though to try lock in that "brushed/polished" look.

As for oxidization... no issued there. Alu is pretty resistant to corrosion.

I like the brushed look, still can't bare to part with my old frame just because they always look good. The wheels somehow look massive on your bike?

That's cos they are. That there is a 100mm travel Morewood 29er prototype ;)

post-10758-0-54173400-1331703745.jpg

...Just kidding! Such a bike would be an abomination! That there Ndiza is a nice compact frame, so it makes the 26" wheels look pretty big. But a more fun 100mm play bike you will not find!

Edited by patches

So I rawed it!!! i have mixed feelings about the results of the bike bt i think thats just because of how its built up now. Anyway here are the pics!!!

post-6162-0-77318900-1332175679.jpg

post-6162-0-00535600-1332175712.jpg

post-6162-0-79994900-1332175782.jpg

post-6162-0-63122800-1332175811.jpg

post-6162-0-24452900-1332175929.jpg

Edited by mad bout mtb

So I rawed it!!! i have mixed feelings about the results of the bike bt i think thats just because of how its built up now. Anyway here are the pics!!!

Looks sweet :thumbup: , maybe anodise the linkage, for a bit of the "bling" factor.