how to make marks on your bike

reteid

I had a bike fitting done yesterday and today will be my first ride with new settings.(stem,saddle moved forward a lot and saddle height adjusted,cleat in left shoe moved etc etc).I would like to know how and with what do you mark on the bike eg tippex? score with the hacksaw? or the angle grinder.The surface is not carbon and the two i would like to mark is the seatpost and the saddle on the rails.Should be visible as at my age eyesight not what it used to be.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a bike fitting done yesterday and today will be my first ride with new settings.(stem,saddle moved forward a lot and saddle height adjusted,cleat in left shoe moved etc etc).I would like to know how and with what do you mark on the bike eg tippex? score with the hacksaw? or the angle grinder.The surface is not carbon and the two i would like to mark is the seatpost and the saddle on the rails.Should be visible as at my age eyesight not what it used to be.

Anything but an angle grinder, use a sharp nail and score it lightly if you want it to be really permanent, otherwise I use a permanent marker pen

Permanent marking pen, red or black color, your choice of thickness but suggest you dont use one that is to thick as it can lead to confusion.

Actualy would like to use a white color as it is easier to see especialy on dark colored bits but have not been able to find a white permanent marker...yet

Have also used a pin punch in the past but these tend to leave more permanent marks which can also create confusion if you change settings (i.e. seat or handle bars)

Edited by SwissVan

thanks , but the permanent marker (black)i struggle to see on the black seatpost.only in certain cars that black on black is lekker.i will do the permanent marker on the saddle rails and score with the nail on the seatpost.

I've got tape marking the position for my seatpost (carbon road) and scrape marking for my MTB.

You could also make a small score mark and fill the scratch with a bit of tipex and wipe off the excess filling up the scratch, make it as small as possible.

Permanently or temporarily? The latter, I use masking or electrical tape. Otherwise Tippex or a very light scoreline with a steel scribe.

thanks , but the permanent marker (black)i struggle to see on the black seatpost.only in certain cars that black on black is lekker.i will do the permanent marker on the saddle rails and score with the nail on the seatpost.

If you have just been for the fitting, things may change slightly so don't go making anything to permannent at this stage, so the red marker, tipex or even tape, another thing you could use is a white chinagraph pencil. This will wipe off though, but good enough for it to be there till you make some minor adjustments.

i have tried the tape around the seatpost before,but when i lower the saddle for some playing on the st or the slalom course at ntida the tape makes it difficult for the seatpost to go into the seatpost tube.if it eventualy goes in then it is in its moer when adjusting it to ride home.it seems that the score filled with tippex should do the trick.thank you all clever people.

You get a permanent paint marker from good hardware stores.

It looks like a toothpaste tube with a ball like a ball point pen.Available in most colours

Useful for many applications.Marking toys and sports goods for school or college

You get a permanent paint marker from good hardware stores.

It looks like a toothpaste tube with a ball like a ball point pen.Available in most colours

Useful for many applications.Marking toys and sports goods for school or college

Does it look like this?

post-13006-0-45225200-1332242573.jpg

i would say angle grinder or even better chain saw

You aint getting nowhere near my bikes :lol: