how to make marks on your bike

reteid

I made a light score on my seat post with a hacksaw blade. Not really too bothered about the look of it as the seat post is pretty scuffed from moving it up and down anyway (orginal seatpost on my GT, not really much of a paint job on it!)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

with some of the suggestions i will now change the question.how can i cut up some trees alt f up my bike? to solve the problem we must first identify the question.even the wisest of man cannot answer a question set by a fool. at least i still have my sense of humor.thanks guys.

yah, use something sharp to make a nice groove and tippex fill it. not.

for heavens sake, measure the length, write it down, use a white/yellow pencil and draw a line where you need it. Introducing scratches/scores etc just creates nice 'weak' spots for the metal/carbon to fatigue on or create stress risers, and break sooner than later.

yah, use something sharp to make a nice groove and tippex fill it. not.

for heavens sake, measure the length, write it down, use a white/yellow pencil and draw a line where you need it. Introducing scratches/scores etc just creates nice 'weak' spots for the metal/carbon to fatigue on or create stress risers, and break sooner than later.

For heaven sake a small scratch or score mark will not jeopardize the metal or carbons integrity.

For heaven sake a small scratch or score mark will not jeopardize the metal or carbons integrity.

Go for it then, what you waiting for...

I have, two years ago and my fat ass of 100kgs has not managed to snap or bend the post!

I've done it to all of my bikes, and never had an issue. We are talking about a surface scratch. Thats like saying a mark or scratch on your frame is going to cause my frame to break apart. I may as well throw my new XT cranks away now as they have a scratch on them. You're making it as light as possible through the paint job, that why use a metal scribe. not an angle grinder.

i have tried the tape around the seatpost before,but when i lower the saddle for some playing on the st or the slalom course at ntida the tape makes it difficult for the seatpost to go into the seatpost tube.if it eventualy goes in then it is in its moer when adjusting it to ride home.it seems that the score filled with tippex should do the trick.thank you all clever people.

KS950i dropper post mate ;) I used to do the same thing until I saw the light. Money well spent!!

http://www.cyclescience.co.nz/site/images/389358.jpg?v=20120124100001

As far as making a temporary mark goes, use a 0,5mm clutch pencil on the post until you have fine tuned the height. It rubs off if you wash it off with force, but doesn't wash off if it gets wet. Once the height is where you want it, use a scriber to scratch the anodising off the post to mark it. DON'T score it so deep that you generate swarf!

Use the same method on the seat rails.

Eish we have a couple of clowns. What a laugh. I suggest using insulation tape.

Tape is fine as long as you only adjust up. Dropping the post becomes a problem... Didn't think that far ahead did we...?

Tape is fine as long as you only adjust up. Dropping the post becomes a problem... Didn't think that far ahead did we...?

lol, what a clown.