Silverback vs Giant Road Bike

dee jay

Hi Hubbers

Needing a bit of advice... I bought a Silverback Strela Concept about 2 months ago. Having loads of fun riding it, esp. since upgrading from a heavy alloy frame.

Problem is that I've recently become the recipient of a wholly unexpected little salary bonus, which means that getting the bike which I was initially eyeing (but which was out of my price range) is now a possibility - a Giant TCR Compisite 1 (Ultegra components etc).

Would it be worth swopping over to the Giant, or should I think about keeping the Silverback? What about a Silverback Space 2?

Any opinions would be most welcome?

Edited by dee jay

Dude, use your bonus to up the wheelset, and nothing else.

The bike you have at the moment is perfect - 105 is the workhorse of the SHIM groupsets, and will last many a mile, while retaining precision and the toightness that you need from a gruppo. 105<ULTEGRA in only the weight. I'd rather take 105 (personally) as it is more "sturdy" than ultegra...

I'd personally upgrade the wheelset and keep the bike. It's a looker of note, and the bath you'd take when selling the Silverback and buying the Giant would be, quite frankly, LARGE!!!

Keep the silverback, and u/g the wheels. Do not sell the bike and buy a new one. In 2 years time, yeah - fine. But 2 months after buying the SB? You craxy man...

Edited by cptmayhem

Dude, use your bonus to up the wheelset, and nothing else. to get a trainer and lose some weight.

LOL guys! Thanks a bunch for the advice - and restoring my sanity!

Was thinking along the same lines re. wheelset, but guess my enthusiasm got the better of me...

(p.s. Bob, tip the scales at a pretty nifty 57kg, but a trainer is definitely on my wishlist)

(p.s. Bob, tip the scales at a pretty nifty 57kg, but a trainer is definitely on my wishlist)

I man after my own bib size :thumbup:

YO DJ Man, agree upgrade wheels get Sentiinel deepsections its advertised on the hub, if you want you can also just get Ultegra group or better CWC selling DAce 7800 for R7999

New wheels: R7250 new groupo R7999 :thumbup:

Hi Hubbers Needing a bit of advice... I bought a Silverback Strela Concept about 2 months ago. Having loads of fun riding it, esp. since upgrading from a heavy alloy frame. Problem is that I've recently become the recipient of a wholly unexpected little salary bonus, which means that getting the bike which I was initially eyeing (but which was out of my price range) is now a possibility - a Giant TCR Compisite 1 (Ultegra components etc). Would it be worth swopping over to the Giant, or should I think about keeping the Silverback? What about a Silverback Space 2? Any opinions would be most welcome?

"Problem is that I've recently become the recipient of a wholly unexpected little salary bonus" Congrats

"Problem is that I've recently become the recipient of a wholly unexpected little salary bonus" Congrats

Maybe DJ needs to share some wholly unexpected with the hubbers :)