Suikerbosrand Route42 MTB challange 2012

trek2300

um, i dont see where you find racetec or championchip on the online entry?

what it does say there is that spectrumsport is involved (timing and results), which probably means we may well be able to use our mtn/nissan sas boards.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

um, i dont see where you find racetec or championchip on the online entry?

what it does say there is that spectrumsport is involved (timing andi results), which probably means we may well be able to use our mtn/nissan sas boards.

Racetec and CC are default display fields on the registration, besides they very rarely time MTB races in Gauteng.

SS Timing do most of the races and i think only certain races mtn/nissan boards are required but boards are available for other races.

does anybody know what a

Depends entirely on the climbs and terrain. This route is mainly flat & fast, one climb, some single track and I would put the road equiv and 100-110 K's

So i gather you have done it .HT 29 orDS29?. Off te bike stuff or flat with good track.I am trying to work out a time to be back at home .Can you get up to speed or slow and technical?

Most of the route is flat or undulating veld paths / sand road (bit of tar), the one climb which is not too bad, def. ridable.

I ride old skool 26" Scalpel (limited rear travel but helps make a more comfortable ride)

Lekka fast race with icecold beers and pizza at the end....I pushed my heart a bit!! happy with my time of 2h51 for the longer route (75km, which turned out to be 67km!). Average Heart rate = 177bpm.....(hit 192 max HR in the race)....not to bad for a old toppie!!....IT WAS DUSTY!!! BUT LEKKA!! :clap:

Remember to dump your empty Gu sachets in the veldt. Apparently the antilope love them. (tong in kies) :thumbdown:

Conversation I had with rider 2630 at the start of the 30km;

me: hey buddy... you dropped something

2630 : 'yeah'

me: you dropped your packet

2630 : it is empty

me: so you drop it on the ground?

2630: yes it is finished

me: do you do that at home as well?

2630: yes

me: well, why don't i pick it up for you and put in my backpocket ?

Pity about a few of us going 'astray' at about 20k's but hey I got closer to the promised 80k's than the rest :thumbup:

Fast and dusty .Soft sand took out a few riders .Saw a rider flat on his back at about 10minutes from start.So where does the suiker bosrand feature in all this .The route did not even cross the highway .Is there a real suikerbosrand MTB race?Liked the race thou

Edited by arendoog

Lekka fast race with icecold beers and pizza at the end....I pushed my heart a bit!! happy with my time of 2h51 for the longer route (75km, which turned out to be 67km!). Average Heart rate = 177bpm.....(hit 192 max HR in the race)....not to bad for a old toppie!!....IT WAS DUSTY!!! BUT LEKKA!! :clap:

A few of those and you will not get to be a geriatric toppie!

Pity about a few of us going 'astray' at about 20k's but hey I got closer to the promised 80k's than the rest :thumbup:

We also missed a turn but luckily only did about 3km extra. The route marking was poor in places and I also have a major problem with advertising a race as being an 80km and it ends up being 'only' 67km.

Lekker race, popped like a little girl after 40 trying to hold onto the front bunch for the first 10km in the long one..pace was insane.

Like they say in the classics, if you want to run with the big dogs, you must be able to **** with them. :blush:

PS shot Lukep for the pep talk and telling to harden the fark up...I needed that...I repaid you with a spectacular lie down where I saw my ringpiece good and solid..35km/h + thick sand = HKGK

We also missed a turn but luckily only did about 3km extra. The route marking was poor in places and I also have a major problem with advertising a race as being an 80km and it ends up being 'only' 67km.

Yip I also did 3k's extra, were you with us when we went right after the bridge instead of left then followed the 'no this is the way we went last year' tjop?

Yip I also did 3k's extra, were you with us when we went right after the bridge instead of left then followed the 'no this is the way we went last year' tjop?

No - we were heading down a long fast district road downhill (after the very bumpy mielie field section which was just after the tight twisty single track in the 'forest'). There was a left turn into the veld halfway down the road with no markings on the road, no marshall and just a turn sign on a roadsign and some barrier tape stuck to some grass. I had my head tucked down doing 45+km/h with my partner watching my wheel behind me so I/we missed it completely.

Very cool race. But yes, I also get irritated when they don't get the distances right as I had 15km left in my reserve tank that I wanted to burn...

Couldn't quite understand how the signs went from 30km to go, and then down to 12km to go, over the space of about just 8km. (Race organisers may need some math help...)

Nice route with a mixture of everything and yes I was also a bit pissed that the route was shorter then advertised as we needed this 'long one' for our Sani2C training - I had only 66km on my Garmin.

I reckon they must change the name from Route 42 to Route 66 for next years race.

Very cool race. But yes, I also get irritated when they don't get the distances right as I had 15km left in my reserve tank that I wanted to burn...

Couldn't quite understand how the signs went from 30km to go, and then down to 12km to go, over the space of about just 8km. (Race organisers may need some math help...)

That's exactly when we realised how short the race was going to be and started riding at a 60km pace rather than an 80km pace - bit late though. We had a 4hr ride in mind but came in well below 3 hours.