Garmin E500 Questions

The Ghost

Some say that the GPS speed reading is not as accurate as that provided by the sensor.

My question is, if you use the sensor, does it stop using the GPS completely or just for that function?

The E500 doesnt have a basemap, does it still show your route on a map once you upload the data online though?

Thanks

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Edge 500 still shows you afterwards on a map, depending on the software you use. Endomondo, Strava, Garminconnect, WKO+ via Google Earth etc. all show you your mapping of your ride.

On the 500, if a sensor is picked up, it will override the GPS function. Standard feature.

Richard, go to the garmin forums, this issue is debated heavily !!!! Garmin themselves dont want to provide answers!!!!!!! I think it is a rip off to get you to spend more money.

As a note, I have not had ONE day of trouble using just the GPS unit. 94.7 was spot on, Argus distance spot on. Etc. etc.

I just don't like attaching stuff to my frame and that's the main reason I went for a GPS unit.

Have been using my 500 for two years now. No worries. MUCH, MUCH better than the 3 polars I had previously!!!

:thumbup:

Hi Spinnekop

I know the 500 can be set to get speed/distance from magnet or GPS or a combination of both,

How do you have yours set?

G

As a note, I have not had ONE day of trouble using just the GPS unit. 94.7 was spot on, Argus distance spot on. Etc. etc.

I just don't like attaching stuff to my frame and that's the main reason I went for a GPS unit.

Speaking for the Edge 800 (and I believe the 500 will be similar), the speed sensor definitely overrides the GPS speed and distance (I have verified this by putting in very big and very small wheel sizes). The Garmin data file contains fields for GPS position and for speed and accumulated distance. Only the latter two are affect by the speed sensor - the GPS data isn't.

Some programs, like SportTracks, allow you to compare the distance from the speed sensor to a distance calculated from the GPS points. The works best if you use 1s recording on the Edge.

and listening to everyone the GPS sensor on the 500 is spot on for distance and speed?

Think I might then switch my 500 over to GPS only.

My wife uses GPSLogger on her Blackberry and we always differ a small bit, wonder if this might be the cause.

G

and listening to everyone the GPS sensor on the 500 is spot on for distance and speed?

Think I might then switch my 500 over to GPS only.

It gets a bit iffy around high buildings and thick tree cover, but for tracking training kilometres it's certainly accurate enough. If you're using it for drag testing, then you need the speed sensor as it's more accurate (when properly calibrated) and more consistent.

Mine has worked perfectly on GPS for nearly 2 years, only time it went wonky was when I had a magnet on the wheel...

I went to the forums, not a very positive place it seems.

Is the 500 a piece of ...?

No, it's not a piece of.....it is a great GPS unit that works really well until you try to use the speed/cadence sensor and forget to either set the wheel size accurately or use auto detect wheel size.

Unlike the 305, if the speed sensor detects a magnet on the wheel it "switches on" and overides the GPS. Bizarre but true.

Solution is to just leave the magnet off and only use the sensor for cadence.

Some say that the GPS speed reading is not as accurate as that provided by the sensor.

My question is, if you use the sensor, does it stop using the GPS completely or just for that function?

The E500 doesnt have a basemap, does it still show your route on a map once you upload the data online though?

Thanks

The normal GSC-10 sensor does both speed+cadence. I haven't tried telling it to act as a cadence sensor only in the Edge 500 config, but I suspect you might be able too.

What I can confirm is that if the GSC-10 is present, and you config the 500 to use it - it will use that solely for speed and distance. If the battery is low, or the magnet isn't set right, you will get dodgy readings. The 500 does not sense iffy data and fallback to using the GPS - in theory it could of course, but the Garmin s/w doesn't support that.

I've had my magnet slip once - it was a race so I didn't stop to fix it. Tigthened up after, and been fine ever since. Personally, I prefer using the sensor when on road bike, although when I put the 500 on my MTB I seem to get pretty decent speed and distance readings.

The cadence sensor I find much fiddlier - the pedal magnet always seems to be moving and I lose stats.

Overall tho - love the 500, might opt for an 800 next time around just for extra features

Edited by walkerr