• Assited Single pivot
    • ABP
    • DW link

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First let me say I have a MASSIVE amount of respect for what Stander and Sauser achieved. In fact I have even more respect for the unsupported teams fighting for 8 days just to make it before cut-off time.

Secondly. Thanks guys, cheque's in the post!

Thirdly. Before you trump Spez' 2012 Epic victory and put that down, in part I'd assume, to their suspension design, think of all the years they HAVEN'T won. Did that make them bad? Not anymore than this year made it good. If you get what I'm saying.

Again with respect to Stander and Sauser, Spez is throwing more money at winning the Epic than the rest of the podium combined. Also, factor in mechanicals and the likes into that 40 minutes. Their Epic win definitely wasn't due to the brain hugging corners, there are hardly any on the Epic other than Oak Valley and a couple of other sections. Th kind of corners on the Epic benefits more from the right tires than suspension design.

Then consider this: there is a reason the brain doesn't translate to their bigger bikes. That's because of suspension "spike" and tune-ability. Something least noticeable when doing XC rides.

The last time I had an Ibis and Stumpjumper in Jonkers doing back to back timed runs the Spez rep asked me not to post times and had this to say about the Ibis: "****!! That bike is FAST"

I respect that you like their design, but my opinion is one of data and real life experience on all on the above suspension designs plus a couple more. This however does not mean that somebody might prefer something else, or that a different design appeal to different people. Some people like predictable drift in tires, some like no drift others prefer the rear to drift...horses for courses.

Edited by The Crow

Giant in the lead, Santa Cruz/Intense tailing with three votes.. ' ;)'

Is the underdog giving boutique brands a thrashing? It seems so!

Edited by Pain or Shine

Forget the best suspension well for XC anyway Smoothlink suspension :D

Haven't ridden it yet. Would love to try it out.

Giant in the lead, Santa Cruz tailing with three votes..

Yeah. Guess you have to factor amount of Maestro's out on the trail vs DW and VPP. Value for money you can't beat the Maestro.

I've been saying it all along, the Maestro riders actually do like the DW design, they just don't know it yet.. he he..

Yeah. Guess you have to factor amount of Maestro's out on the trail vs DW and VPP. Value for money you can't beat the Maestro.

In terms of set-up I have found that across the range the Maestro comes closest to DW in terms of ease of set up an tuning range.

And then you have to ask yourself, why spend so much more for a DW bike? CAUSE THEY ARE HOT! And exclusive. Rumor has it we'll see the carbon bastard child of a Reign and a Reign X in the near future. That thing will be killer value for money!

I ride a Turner Sultan with DW link, and just love it. Smoothest ride ever. Took my old body through the Cape Outback with no (or limited) pain!

Haven't ridden it yet. Would love to try it out.

After my first wipe on the new rig ill let you have a go at her :)

Edited by covie

In terms of set-up I have found that across the range the Maestro comes closest to DW in terms of ease of set up an tuning range.

And then you have to ask yourself, why spend so much more for a DW bike? CAUSE THEY ARE HOT! And exclusive. Rumor has it we'll see the carbon bastard child of a Reign and a Reign X in the near future. That thing will be killer value for money!

OOH! OOH!

Saying that, the Tallboy LT is on my list. First 9er I actually could see myself parting with my cash for...

OOH! OOH!

Saying that, the Tallboy LT is on my list. First 9er I actually could see myself parting with my cash for...

What about the Pyga? :w00t:

Giant in the lead, Santa Cruz + Intense tailing with three votes..

I fixed it for you, Intense share the VPP design with SC.

Having owned Kona's, Yeti's, and SC's I rate the VPP suspension design very highly - would love to try the Tallboy LTc !!

Edited by HaydenE