Advice for a newbie

Fishman

I have a Giant Boulder (V-brakes and Shimano Acera)which I bought a few years back so I could ride with the kids. Thing is, they now ride Tokai regularly and are bugging me to go with.(At the moment I drop them off and go walking or collect them later). Question is.... Will this bike handle the up and down or do I need to get something more durable?

I'm 6'5'' and weight around 100kg - the frame is a 23''

Assuming the bike is in decent nick, as in - not rusting etc, and you've had someone who knows what they are doing give it a look-over, then if you plan on sticking to the main fire-roads etc., there should be no problems - your main consideration would be that the brakes are in good working order, since you could build up some steam coming down...

If you want to hit the singletrack with it, well then again - that would mostly depend on the condition of the bike... Regardless, a fair amount of common sense, and provided you don't go and throw yourself off major drop-offs ect., you should be fine...

My suggestion would be that you first start getting into the cycling again, hit the main and basic trails first, and you will quickly get a sense of what the bike (or you, for that matter ;) ) are capable of... Should the bug bite - you can then start looking at upgrading...

Those old boulders are tough. Yes, a better specced bike will serve you better, and maybe last longer, while giving you more enjoyment, but insofar as the bike itself is concerned, it will serve you well in the hills of Tokai.

Yes, it won't be able to handle the gnarly stuff as well as a "better" bike, but if you're just looking at spending time with the kids, it should be perfect.

Anyway - my advice, keep it as it is for now, and if you want to upgrade in 6 months to a years time, then upgrade then.

That's pretty spot on advice . Just get a decent helmet and go ride with your kids, they will show you where and how.

Boulders are tougher than some of the fancy bikes. Not as easy to ride on the technical stuff, but certainly capable of handling singletrack.

That's pretty spot on advice . Just get a decent helmet and go ride with your kids, they will show you where and how.

+ 1 on the helmet. Don't even think of riding (or letting your kids ride) without one.

Boulders are tougher than some of the fancy bikes. Not as easy to ride on the technical stuff, but certainly capable of handling singletrack.

+1. They're tough as nails. Not the lightest, but that's of no concern to some.

Think of it this way though... how heavy are kids' bikes? 12, 13, 14kg? You have far more power than them, so the weight shouldn't be a concern unless you really get into it further down the road..

I have a 12+ year old Giant Yukon that started its life out as a hybrid and was upgraded with front suspension, wider riser handlebars and knobblies about two years ago. The rest is stock standard, including the v-brakes, wheels, gearing, chain etc.

The bike is tough as nails. It did lots and lots of road kilometers and has now done close to 1500km offroad, including some muddy, rocky, scary (for me!) singletrack, some spectacular wipe-outs, a few races and I'm doing the mabalingwe lion-man with it next month. I see no reason to upgrade :)

Just find a reliable bike mechanic to keep the bike serviced, and you're good to go.

I have a Giant Boulder (V-brakes and Shimano Acera)which I bought a few years back so I could ride with the kids. Thing is, they now ride Tokai regularly and are bugging me to go with.(At the moment I drop them off and go walking or collect them later). Question is.... Will this bike handle the up and down or do I need to get something more durable?

I'm 6'5'' and weight around 100kg - the frame is a 23''

Bike will be fine.I punished a giant rincon for years. My single speed with v-brakes and noodle fork sees quite a bit of tokai these days