On another 2 wheel topic

headhunter2000

Does anybody own a Suzuki VStrom 1000 model 2008 or newer and what do you think about it? I'm planning selling my Yamaha FZR1000 and get into the adventure playing field.

post-29205-0-35021900-1333469104.jpg

Edited by headhunter2000

They say that it's a 60% on and 40%off-road type adventure bike and 70% of the riders never ride on dirt road. The reason why I would buy it is because of its comfortable riding style and its bullet proove V-motor. I would like to join a group and do some gravel road adventures.

while the vstrom is a good bike, it's not ideally suited for any kind of gravel riding, rather check out:

triumph tiger 800xc

bmw gs 800, or 1200

ktm 990 adventure

yamaha super tenere 1200, or tenere 660

do some research on this forum, it's all about dual sport motorcycling and the guys are super friendly - http://www.wilddog.z...forum/index.php

Edited by sadamhussein

yamaha super tenere 1200,

that's what I said:

Rather find a Sten.

Ooh, ooh, and the Versys 1000 would be right up there on my list as well.

Edited by TNT1

again, the versys is a very nice bike, but definitely not a true dual sport bike ( a bike meant for both on-road and off-road).

here are a three things that you want for any kind of gravel road longer than a few hundred metres:

• spoked rims - upon taking a moderate hit, spoked rims absorb energy by bending, but they keep going. mag rims crack and break, leaving you stranded
  • a large diameter front wheel, preferably a 21 inch
  • long travel suspension

neither the versys nor the vstrom has these features as standard.

dont take my word for it though, just research it and you will find that once you start doing dual sport riding, you only buy something that is purpose built like the list in my previous post.

again, the versys is a very nice bike, but definitely not a true dual sport bike ( a bike meant for both on-road and off-road).

here are a three things that you want for any kind of gravel road longer than a few hundred metres:

• spoked rims - upon taking a moderate hit, spoked rims absorb energy by bending, but they keep going. mag rims crack and break, leaving you stranded
  • a large diameter front wheel, preferably a 21 inch
  • long travel suspension

neither the versys nor the vstrom has these features as standard.

dont take my word for it though, just research it and you will find that once you start doing dual sport riding, you only buy something that is purpose built like the list in my previous post.

Bastard.

The Versys just looks so nice. I agree with you 100%. A Sten it would be for me, and will be when I tire of the GS.

triumph tiger 800xc for me please!

It's nice to be sure, but I grew up racing Yammies, my heart will be with the Sten.

I Know someone who upgrades from a V-strom to a GS1200 ? Must meen something...

I've test driven the BMW F800GS. Its capable of doing alot and its road handeling is superb. The only thing I don't like, is the silly little indicators on each side of the handlebars but will get used to that.

post-29205-0-20337900-1333511688.jpg

My 2c... KTM is by far the most comfortable and adventurous bike. I have a 640 and always come back with a big smile. Also look at what finished top in the Dakar for the last few years. Try take the 990 for a spin before you buy and make sure you know what engine mapping it is set on as it has a bunch of settings, from pansy to rip your arms off... Again, my 2c, but for you guys its free.