Trails around Struisbaai, Cape Agulhus?

Manterfn

Heading out to Struisbaai for what is looking like a wet Easter weekend. Where are the best trails round there? Is De Hoop worth checking out?

Thanks!

• 6 years later...

So this is what you do...

Drive to Lomond wine estate just outside Gansbaai (approx 70km)

There are some excellent trails there with stunning views and a proper workout.

A good 40km or so of trails to ride.

On your way back stop at the Black Oystercatcher Wine estate outside Bredasdorp and buy a case of the Frasers Folley Craft beer and enjoy!!

In late December there was/is a MTB race in Struisbaai.

See if you can find out what the route of the event was or if it only made use of gravel roads.

I recall the 70km race only offering about 600m elevation.

Ya, Goose Bay is the place. Hard riding though. no manicured single track, herds of wildish horses, bar grabbing proteas and the odd sand patch. 

There is mtb trails in Bredasdorp. Built by the Southernmost Foundation, but the bike shop where you got permits is gone (might have moved) and the Naas Vermaak has become quiet here in the hub, so it might not be open/maintained anymore.

Other option is to go gravel grinding.

Hi Tim

You know the Gansbaai trails well, but the Bredasdorp trails are also well worth it.  The one that runs to the Preekstoel has nice climbs and descents.  As Philip says Naas is the guy to chat to - he also organises the races from Napier to Struisbaai.  Contact him though the Southernmost Foundation or pm me for his cell.  He has unfortunately closed his shop. 

Beloftebos near Stanford also has trails (short) and you can also cycle into the old Salmonsdam reserve - nothing is happening there.  Take the road up to the tower - long climb and awesome descent. 

Black Oystercatcher use to have a nice map with several nice routes on it (gravel ginding mostly).

Just a word of advise: Avoid cycling on the road from Bredasdop to Struisbaai during holiday season - narrow, mostly no shoulder and caravans/trailers that get pretty uncomfortabe

Thanks All, might hit the Bredasdorp trails then.

Thanks Goosebay, going to be at Funky Fynbos again this year, need to regain my Title.  :devil: 

Been running a bit again, but nowhere near ready to race that monster 30km trail run!

Beloftebos near Stanford also has trails (short) and you can also cycle into the old Salmonsdam reserve - nothing is happening there.  Take the road up to the tower - long climb and awesome descent. 

I go riding around Stanford a lot over holidays.

When I go on the road out of Stanford and turn onto the gravel road to Beloftebos, do you just follow the sign that says Salmonsdam and ride up there?

I've never taken that turn going there (If memory serves it's the turn of just before Beloftebos)

Think I'll give it a bash next time I'm out there.

Another cool trail is out at Tesselaarsdal.

I'd like to try the Haarkapper this year.

Apparently quite hairy.

Thanks All, might hit the Bredasdorp trails then.

Thanks Goosebay, going to be at Funky Fynbos again this year, need to regain my Title.  :devil:

Been running a bit again, but nowhere near ready to race that monster 30km trail run!

Hi, there are very nice places to ride from Struisbaai. 

From the Caltex garage, head back to Bredasdorp till you get the Elim turn-off, turn left.(If there are traffic just ride on the grass next to the road) Do about 10km gravel-road till the Brandfontein turn- Left, After about 5km turn right off the gravel onto single-track This will take you over the little mountain (think it's called Soetmuisberg and down the other side to the beach Brandfontein) The climb up isn't to bad with very little sand, but down are quite eroded and you must look-out for deep holes in the track. Once down you can ride single track back to the Elim gravel-road the way you came or if the tide is low, you can ride on the beach til you get to Suiderstrand. If you choose your lines correct the sand will ride very nice. I will try to attach my ride beginning of the year (Not sure how.)  Will also be in Struisbaai later this weekend. 

Nope I'm to stupid to attach a Garmin Course. Sorry

Edited by FarmerMTB

Hi, there are very nice places to ride from Struisbaai. 

From the Caltex garage, head back to Bredasdorp till you get the Elim turn-off, turn left.(If there are traffic just ride on the grass next to the road) Do about 10km gravel-road till the Brandfontein turn- Left, After about 5km turn right off the gravel onto single-track This will take you over the little mountain (think it's called Soetmuisberg and down the other side to the beach Brandfontein) The climb up isn't to bad with very little sand, but down are quite eroded and you must look-out for deep holes in the track. Once down you can ride single track back to the Elim gravel-road the way you came or if the tide is low, you can ride on the beach til you get to Suiderstrand. If you choose your lines correct the sand will ride very nice. I will try to attach my ride beginning of the year (Not sure how.)  Will also be in Struisbaai later this weekend. 

Nope I'm to stupid to attach a Garmin Course. Sorry

Very nice route. 

Lots of gravel grinding options in the direction of Elim also Arniston and Die Mond. You can easily string together 100kms of gravel with very little tar. Just don't get stuck out there coming home into a monster wind having long since run out of water and food. After biting off more than I should've I had to phone SWAMBO to come collect.

I can highly recommend the tracks above Bredasdorp. Lekker little trails, mostly single track, some good gradient changes and nice rocky bits.

The last time I bumped into Naas he explained that they were trying to open up trails all the way to Napier, maybe some of those are open now.

Drop him a line via Southernmost Foundation website or Facebook - Naas Vermaak