2-4mm cut on tubeless tyre

CarbonCAS

Hi all,

I got a small cut in my tyre and was wondering how to repair it. The sealant seals the cut at low pressure(not enough to ride on) but as soon as you inflate the tyre it starts to leak again?

The cut is between the knoblies. Any suggestions of fixing this? Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by CarbonCAS

But don't use these Mickey Mouse plugs the bike shops sell . Go to car tyre shop and get proper plugs !

But don't use these Mickey Mouse plugs the bike shops sell . Go to car tyre shop and get proper plugs !

But those plugs are BIG, this is a small cut, very small. Do you cut them down or what?

But those plugs are BIG, this is a small cut, very small. Do you cut them down or what?

Many kits come with a blade for just that.

Or, you could go to your local motorbike shop and get the plugs that they sell there. They've been posted here before, just can't remember where. Effectively has a round base that goes inside the tire, with a rubber spike that goes through the hole. Far more secure than a plug, and will last far longer. Sorta looks like an enlarged rubber thumb-tac. You also get different sizes for different size holes...

What tubeless tyres are they and what sealant you using.

I converted my 4X bike to tubeless probably around 6 months ago. Got my first puncture about 1 month ago at the 139 DH provincial. Cut the front tyre pretty well (approx 4mm) on a rock.

I thought I would have to plug, but I just gave the wheel a good spin to spread the sealant, and pumped it up, and magically it held.

Tyre = Geax AKA TNT

Sealant = Stans (DH recommended dosage... ie. 2 scoops per 26" tyre)

Rim strips = BigBen Ghetto-Fabulous Cheapkates :lol:

Edited by patches

I used to patch my tyres with the thin, pink patch strips that you get at bike shops for R10. The problem is the patch is too thin, and its happened that a rock pushed through the old cut in the tyre, and straight through the patch as well. I now use these, TipTop patches. Most bike shops sell them. Get a nice big-ish one, about 4-5cm across. Patch the tyre on the inside like you would a tube, with patching-solution, etc. Just don't sand the inside of the tyre of course. The TipTop patches are nice and thick in the middle, and thin on the sides which stick to the tyre nicely. You'll just have to clean all the old sealant off around the cut on the inside and make sure its 109% dry. If you have to wash the tyre with some Sunlight liquid that might also be better.

http://media1.roseversand.de/product/370/5/7/573526_1.jpg

Give the patch an hour to set nicely, then you can start re-doing your tubeless, sealant, etc.

http://www.rematipto...parts.php?sid=1

Edited by Azonic

Or, you could go to your local motorbike shop and get the plugs that they sell there. They've been posted here before, just can't remember where. Effectively has a round base that goes inside the tire, with a rubber spike that goes through the hole. Far more secure than a plug, and will last far longer. Sorta looks like an enlarged rubber thumb-tac. You also get different sizes for different size holes...

Thats a good idea. Need to try and find a place that has these. Any idea where?

Been struggling with my tubeless road setup.

Have a few small nicks that leak under high pressure. Stops leaking at around 5 bar. Still ride it at that, but it makes me nervous that I may damage the rim on something.

Patching the holes dont seem to work long term.

I think that the amonia in the sealent causes the patch to eventually lift off slightly making it leak again.

(Is there any glue that is amonia resistant? Maybe an epoxy would work but then your flexibilty would also go)

Tried plugging as well, but running it at 8-9 bars starts to push the plug out. Also a road tyre so the thing sticking out is not really ideal.

Thats a good idea. Need to try and find a place that has these. Any idea where?

Been struggling with my tubeless road setup.

Have a few small nicks that leak under high pressure. Stops leaking at around 5 bar. Still ride it at that, but it makes me nervous that I may damage the rim on something.

Patching the holes dont seem to work long term.

I think that the amonia in the sealent causes the patch to eventually lift off slightly making it leak again.

(Is there any glue that is amonia resistant? Maybe an epoxy would work but then your flexibilty would also go)

Tried plugging as well, but running it at 8-9 bars starts to push the plug out. Also a road tyre so the thing sticking out is not really ideal.

I don't think there is much/any advantage in going tubeless on a road bike!