Converting a RS Lyrik to a coil u-turn

Thug

Has anyone converted a solo air Lyrik to a Coil U-Turn?

It appears to be a relatively straightforward conversion with the only parts needed being:

- U-Turn spring

- U-Turn travel adjuster knob, and

- A topout assembly

Why convert? make it easier to climb and prevent a wandering front-end.

• 2 weeks later...

have also ordered a lyric coil with mission control ,170mm fork, with a medium spring, to me for my all mountain , switchback uphill and downhill riding at giba ,I am hoping they will meet my extremely high expectations,have not been able to test the lyric coil as they seem to be not used in sa much?or so I have been told by local bike shops.

Seems we may be a rare breed in or thinking.Am not bothered at all by the weight factor,just think the coil more suited to my riding pereference.

I spent quite a bit of time climbing in Watervalboven a couple of weekends ago and found that my front end was very loose, probably a combination of the slack head angle and travel of the fork.

I don't want or need a new fork and the conversion to Coil U-turn is relatively cheap (ok, around R1.5k), so it was worthwhile to try it out. Quite a number have converted to coil u-turn from both single air or dual air with great results, so I'm not too worried that I'm wasting money. It was just a question of deciding on the spring, so I went for a soft spring as I'm a relative light weight and don't spend too much time 6 foot off the ground.

Will let you know how it works out.

Thug, if you need to bounce questions off anyone, give Ian a call at Cape Cycle Systems.. RS agents - 021 761 3528.

Sorry, only seeing this thread now...

Edited by Pain or Shine

• 2 weeks later...

Parts collected this morning from the Post Office and delivered together with the fork to my LBS.

Will collect the fork later and then go for a test ride probably at Rietvlei tomorrow morning.

Got the fork back this morning and have rebuilt the front end of my bike.

So far the fork seems a lot more plush although I have lost some travel (probably around 15mm). I now have a maximum of 160mm before the fork bottoms out.

One thing I did notice is that obviously now with a spring, I have no way of setting the sag :whistling: but on measuring the sag it is approx 21%, so all good there.

Hitting the blue and black route at Rietvlei tomorrow, so will see how she performs.