Jock Cycle Classic

LOOK695

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R490-00 seems reasonable for a stage race and includes breakfast, lunch, a t shirt and goodies back. Also there will be transport available for your togbacks to the varoius stage ends

Anybody doing the Jock this year. See that there has been a route change because of road works. Check stage 2. 30Km of climbing. I am keen to do it. Did it 2 years ago and I suffered, but this year I will be leaner :devil: Jock Cycle Race_Stage Profiles_2012.pdf

There like a bear. Always a fun day. Also did it two years ago. How's the route different this year?

There like a bear. Always a fun day. Also did it two years ago. How's the route different this year?

There is no Boulders and Kaapmuiden. 2nd stage goes up to Kaapsehoop for 30 km's of climbing. 3rd stage back to Nelspruit and then to Barbeton down Hilltop. Pretty long stage of 74km's.

There is no Boulders and Kaapmuiden. 2nd stage goes up to Kaapsehoop for 30 km's of climbing. 3rd stage back to Nelspruit and then to Barbeton down Hilltop. Pretty long stage of 74km's.

No Boulders! Love that climb. Oh well, new route should be fun. The road down Hilltop is now in great shape, so should be fine descent :-))

• 1 month later...

So, no new routes for the Jock. Back to the old one? Have no idea of either, nor how much climbing is involved...

Anybody else (unfit-ish) who cares to do all 3 stages? I'd love to do it.... Not sure whether I should pack hiking boots as well?

Trubie, CycleWizz, Andyr249, notsoBigben, anybody else? care to join on a mad expedition up the hills?

edit: stages, not days

Edited by RoboCyclist

So, no new routes for the Jock. Back to the old one? Have no idea of either, nor how much climbing is involved...

Anybody else (unfit-ish) who cares to do all 3 days? I'd love to do it.... Not sure whether I should pack hiking boots as well?

Trubie, CycleWizz, Andyr249, notsoBigben, anybody else? care to join on a mad expedition up the hills?

You know it's not 3 days, but 3 stages in 1 day? :-)

You know it's not 3 days, but 3 stages in 1 day? :-)

Yup, fully aware of it. 149km in one day, with two compulsory rest stops ;)

Found this on Garmin Connect http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101135901

Seems like about 2450m of vertical ascent.... Might just wish my triple bladed crank back onto the bike...

Yup, fully aware of it. 149km in one day, with two compulsory rest stops ;)

Found this on Garmin Connect http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101135901

Seems like about 2450m of vertical ascent.... Might just wish my triple bladed crank back onto the bike...

Just checking, your post said 3 days.... Also still contemplating entering. Was down there last weekend, some tough climbs!

Just checking, your post said 3 days.... Also still contemplating entering. Was down there last weekend, some tough climbs!

oops, meant stages :blush:

the wait between the starts of the various stages is the worst - it would be much better to hit it all in one go.

if you think you are fit, get fitter! the last stage is the one to look out for.

judging by the food etc... last year, i dont think it warrants R500 (before accom and travel for us out of towners to boot) so i wont be doing it again this year, but otherwise it really is an awesome tough and challenging ride with some of the best climbing youll do all year.

It is a tough stage race. If you are doing it, it helps to have back-up support, especially after the second stage at Kaapmuiden. It is a good idea to get of your feet and really relax well and take in plenty fluids. That last stage is a killer with muscles that are cold and fatiqued and it starts on an incline

Did the race in 2010. On my my Polar I measured for the 1st stage: 43km, 595m ascent; 2nd stage: 48km, 800m ascent; 3rd stage: 51km, 855m ascent. On the 2nd stage, Boulders alone was 450m ascent

• 2 weeks later...

Entered for all 3 stages :w00t: Going to 'kou klippe', THAT is a certainty. Hopefully 2 to 3 IDT sessions + 2x longer outdoor rides per week (including the Kremetart & a 200km Audax ride) will be sufficient to harden my teeth a bit!