Which is tougher...Comrades or Epic?

rouxtjie

Toughest?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which is tougher Epic or Comrades?

• Epic
    • Comrades

Comrades will be much higher i think??? but then they do allow anybody to try and run the thing that can run a 5 hour Marathon.

Epic I think this year was under 20% and then some guys still finished without a partner. You have to also take in to consideration a lot off the guys that did not finish was due to crashes and mechanicals.

Ironman I think would have to be the lowest but that I think is because nobody really shows up at an Ironman without being in very good condition. At the Comrades, Especially if you run at the back where I was you see hundreds off runners that really never should have showed up in the first place.

In terms of DNF's for Epic I disagree with that 20% figure (not with you nochain, but with the organizers) As I understand it, when calculating the DNF % they INCLUDE unofficial solo finishers with official team finishers. Taking those out would increase the DNF % substantially.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you cant simply say comrades = 1 day and epic = 7. With comrades there is no downhill to rest - so it would be comparable to riding uphill all day. i would say the preparation is probably similar - maybe a bit more required for the epic - but i reckon the pounding your body takes is greater - so my vote goes for Comrades

• 1 month later...

Not done Epic, but IMO Comrades FAR harder than Ironman. Of course, training for Ironman is more difficult for obvious reasons.