Is it legal for cyclists to ride on the pavement?

Skylark

My dad is indeed wonderful... He is just not the kind of guy to zap when you in the wrong... He is ex Rhodesian SAS, so he knows how to handle himself. We were cheering him on by the way...

Edited by Octavian

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad is indeed wonderful... He is just not the kind of guy to zap... He is ex Rhodesian SAS, so he knows how to handle himself. We were cheering him on by the way...

Gee. Explains a lot of the violence in society.

Yeah good thing I'm not in Gabarone :)

Those runners that run in the road against the flow of traffic should be locked up or put in the loony bin - they even claim right of way and force you into the middle of the road if you find yourself on a bike riding past them , not good

Nope, but you probably did not attend Kindergarten? Coz that's where they teach you already that pedestrians/runners should face the traffic, for very obvious reasons (looks like dynamite had a point on your reasoning ability :rolleyes: )

As to them not yielding: I'm with you again! I recently came down Polkadraai early morning in the dark, car on brights approaching and had about a nano-second after it passed, to swerve violently to avoid catapulting into 2 (Comrades?) runners --> I was doing around 60 at the time...

(looks like dynamite had a point on your reasoning ability :rolleyes: )

Cancel your weekend rides, guys. It's gonna snow :whistling:

My dad is indeed wonderful... He is just not the kind of guy to zap... He is ex Rhodesian SAS, so he knows how to handle himself. We were cheering him on by the way...

So wonderful that he beats the crap out of someone so badly that their face has been permanently changed, Mmmmm.

So wonderful that he beats the crap out of someone so badly that their face has been permanently changed, Mmmmm.

While the kids cheer him on. Wonder if they moved to Delmas when they came from Rhodesia?

Oh, and also, imagine the thrill of being arrested for assault. Some people.

Throw me the middle finger and I will also attempt to remove your teeth ! If you wanna behave like a asshole then expect to be treated as one !

Oooh wait I think the bible say turn the other cheek and while you doing that might as well bend over as well .

Edited by dirt-rider

And the www.joburg.co.za website has this to say about travelling by bicycle:

"A mountain bike is probably best for commuting as it allows you to hop onto pavements or ride through parks to avoid traffic."

And on www.bicycling.co.za regarding the cycle paths in Cape Town we have this:

"Cyclists need to obey all traffic rules. Cyclists also have to remember that the path is for pedestrians too. The idea is to keep left at all times. At all the intersections where pedestrian traffic is heaviest, the paving is a different design to alert cyclists to slow down to negotiate pedestrians and turning traffic."

So pedestrians are allowed on cycle paths but cyclists as not allowed on pavements? And it becomes quite interesting defining a pavement. So on Durban's beachfront I can ride along the entire beach front promenade section but I better not ride on any of the paved areas next to Marine Parade road as these are effectively "pavements" and off limits for me?

Yip that's the thing - whats the correct interpretation of pedestrian?

Dictionary says : "A person who travels by foot"

But legalities are often not so clearly defined - ask any lawyer and he'll tell you laws are wide open to interpretation , which is why a good horde of lawyers can get a wealthy man out of any seemingly cut and dried guilty case.

I definitely classify myself as a pedestrian - I ride/walk on the pavement to prevent injury to myself from automotive vehicles.

I definitely do not see it as safe or reasonable to ride in the same space as a 1 ton hulk of metal when all I have is a pathetic little styrofoam helmet on my head.

Throw me the middle finger and I will also attempt to remove your teeth ! If you wanna behave like a asshole then expect to be treated as one !

Oooh wait I think the bible say turn the other cheek and while you doing that might as well bend over as well .

Note to self, do not flip the bird at Darth Vadar

While the kids cheer him on. Wonder if they moved to Delmas when they came from Rhodesia?

No need to insult me or my family. As a moderator I would expect better from you.

all I have is a pathetic little styrofoam helmet on my head.

It's not 1987 anymore. You do get better helmets these days.

No need to insult me or my family. As a moderator I would expect better from you.

I'm not a moderator. Feel free to use the report button.

i'm with skylark,

dude, just do what you want. ride the pavement!!

it's life and death riding with the cars in the road, SA is blessed with some really nice single-track on sidewalks in urban areas, it would be stupid to NOT make use of it.

if we were debating riding on the sidewalk in say, New York, i'd be inclined to advise against it, but seriously, nothing is cut and dried here in third world africa. rules that make sense in the first world cannot be applied here.

dont expect a motorist backing out of his driveway to yield to you because you shouldnt be there and he's not expecting you, by the same token you must yield to pedestrians because they are as predictable as headless chickens. all in all, these "threats" make riding the sidewalk so much more fun!

Yeah.

Couldna, put it better meself.

'specially the 'headless chickens' bit...........wella saddam!

Yip that's the thing - whats the correct interpretation of pedestrian? Dictionary says : "A person who travels by foot" But legalities are often not so clearly defined - ask any lawyer and he'll tell you laws are wide open to interpretation , which is why a good horde of lawyers can get a wealthy man out of any seemingly cut and dried guilty case. I definitely classify myself as a pedestrian - I ride/walk on the pavement to prevent injury to myself from automotive vehicles. I definitely do not see it as safe or reasonable to ride in the same space as a 1 ton hulk of metal when all I have is a pathetic little styrofoam helmet on my head.

I'm afraid I disagree with you here bud. Mostly the law is spelt out to the letter, and the English interpretation of something is very valid. So if the definition is "a person travelling by foot" then the legal interpretation is "a person travelling by foot". Simple right? Also, if you take the time to actually go through the Acts, I bet you it will be spelt out very clearly. That's why they are so long and boring to read. Soon you will say that you are a pedestrian driving a car, and therefore have the right to drive on the pavement too??

As an aside, lawyers often get people off cut and dry cases due to procedural issues that aren't followed correctly

Interesting. So what does knocking his teeth out achieve? Make you the better person? Allow you to feel superior? Put your testosterone on display for all females who may be in the area to see?

You justify this reaction by saying if the other person is an asshole you'll be one too. Wow, aren't we lucky not everyone in the world uses this sort of logic.

If you see this..............

post-20304-0-65249800-1334316398.jpg

you may not ride on the path/pavement/sidewalk.

If you do not, you may.

If you see a Fortuner, ANY Fortuner, kick it anyways. For all the times you should have.

Damn arrogant vehicles those.