Stans No Tube - Valves

Thorn199

I'm new to this whole Tubeless malarky... but I somehow managed to break the valve last night with some over zealous pumping... :blush:

Any stockists of Stans No Tubes valves in JHB? Or can I use any tubeless conversion valve?

With the bead on the tyre now broken (in order to remove broken valve), will the sealant still be effective, or do I have to replace that too?

:oops:

just pop the tyre bead at the valve and replace with any brand tubeless valve, you don't need to replace fluid but may want to top up if you mess.

PS get a floor pump :)

PPS AMclassic Valves break if you look at them funny.

If you have spare tubes laying around the house, you can make your own tubeless valve. Cut the valve out of an old tube and leave 2-3mm of "meat" all around it. I've never bought valves, always used ones from old MTB and road tubes. Free vs R150+

If you have spare tubes laying around the house, you can make your own tubeless valve. Cut the valve out of an old tube and leave 2-3mm of "meat" all around it. I've never bought valves, always used ones from old MTB and road tubes. Free vs R150+

Thank you for the advise. Always bought a new one. Will save some money.

Not sure whether its relevant to your question re the Stans valves but I have found that some of the valve internals are universal. You can use Bontrager valve internals with Mavic. Normally you will just break the internals so there is no need to buy a full valve. Much cheaper and no need to pop the tyre bead.

Not sure whether its relevant to your question re the Stans valves but I have found that some of the valve internals are universal. You can use Bontrager valve internals with Mavic. Normally you will just break the internals so there is no need to buy a full valve. Much cheaper and no need to pop the tyre bead.

Thanks, but unfortunately, I did a proper number on the valve, breaking both external tube and internals (the only way I could get the pump off the valve was to snap the whole lot off!)

Thank you for the advise. Always bought a new one. Will save some money.

You might have to keep a scissor handy or a sharp sidecutter to get it just right. But as long as the tyre bead can sneak in between the DIY valve the the rim, you're sorted. Also a good idea to "lube" the spot where you're going to stick the valve through with some sealant...

I do have a pair of brand new Stans valves at home if you want to go the expensive route... You can have them both for R100 + postage (on the assumption I can find them!).

I do have a pair of brand new Stans valves at home if you want to go the expensive route... You can have them both for R100 + postage (on the assumption I can find them!).

Thanks, but will pop down to LBS and get some generic ones. Unfortunately, I don't have any old tubes as valve donors lying around.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Next question:

Tyres are not keeping their pressure. Pump them up, and they're good for a ride, but after a day or two the pressure has noticeably dropped and I have to pump them up again.

Too little sealant?

I personally would try and found out where the tyre leak. My friend tubeless was leaking at the valve. We simply cut a piece of tube and press the tubeless valve through it on the inside of the rim....work like a bom!!