pins and needles

Mich

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and how do i get the correct setup?

cyclelab in jhb and pta will do it for you very professionally, but it is a bit pricey. most lbs will also be able to help you as well. if you do not have a specific lbs  - ask around first. as mentioned a lot on the hub - there are lbs' and then there are lbs'. 

mich, definitely helps to get a cycle shop recommended by someone to do a proper setup.  I had the same problem of pin and needles in my hands even after a "proper" setup was done.  Had a 2nd one done after a while and it turned out my stem was too long. Being a female my upper body length is a bit shorter so even though the bike was the right size, I need the handle bars a bit closer.  R80 later I had a new stem and no more problems.

Good luck!

I see everyone is being very usefull here today as usual.

Mich - do urself a favour, book a setup appointment @ cyclelab pay the money and get them to set it up correctly for you. They won't get it perfect but it will be near enough. Then you can readjust and tweek it yourself after a few rides (ride with someone and take some tools with for on the road adjustments). the setup formulas published are generalised and don't take into account how the manufacturer designed the frame. A TREK will not have the same setup as a COLNAGO for the same person. An MTB setup diifers from a road bike.

You may even find your stem is to long or to short, the same with your cranks & seat post. It's trial an error.

I've had my Colnago set up twice by 2 different LBS and both got it wrong. Seat to high (ended up with only 1" of the seat tube in the frame - very dangerous) @ 50km my back was killing me, my ass hurt like hell, and got terrible oins & needles in my toes.

The solution: dropped the saddle and put on a shorter stem & readjusted my cleats = problem solved.

lbs???

(my blondness is showing)

lbs = local bike shop.

btw  = by the way

wtf    -   ok 'm not going to do this one.

don't worry you'll get the hang of it.  Smile

madmarc - thats exacly what my problem is, my butt is in agony today, will defently go to a cyclelab and get my setup seen too

zoo cookie - wtf i know i'm blond but not that blond

ratty - going on a limb here but are you the same ratty from boots and bridles (furface)

What madmarc said.

Thing is: being setup correctly without shoes and cleats or at least toeclips will get you most of the way into the correct riding position. BUT, when you pedal your feet are likely to move around and thus you are not always going to be 100%. The longer you use platform pedals, the more you are training your body to only apply power during 40% of the pedal stroke. So when you eventually get cleats you have some bad pedaling habits which could be difficult to break.

Shoes and cleats will solve the problem in your feet too. Because the soles are rigid they distribute your foot pressure evenly while your takkies can only push down on the small area of your pedals.

If you are concerned about falling with cleats - a couple of hours simply riding around on a piece of manicured lawn with elbow and knee pads, clipping in and out, will give you a lot of confidence. Also helps to have an experienced cyclist advising/catching you. ;->

Alberton cycles?? Go see Justin in Alberton @ Just Cycles...he knows his stuff. Alternatively, and most sensibly go thru to Cyclelab and pay to have it done properly.

No matter how new, you cannot ride without cleats and cycling shoes. I know it all adds up to an expensive exercise but the sooner you try it, the better. Your feet will actually relax when they are clipped in. Promise. You're probably hanging on for dear life for fear that your feet slip out of or off the pedals. Make sure your toes have enough room in the toe box, and at least a finger width between your longest toe and the top of the shoe. If your toes can move but the rest of your foot is secure in the shoe (almost like an ice skate) then there will be good circulation and you will not get pins and needles. Cycling is very different to walking in your takkies.

Your thumbs go numb because you are either wearing gloves too tight in the webs of your fingers, or you are gripping the bars too tight, or you are not moving your hands around enough. I highly recommend comfortable bar ends, cos they allow you to alter your hand positioning to give you relief and circulation. It's always good to stretch your fingers out now and again when you're riding. The Convert2008-01-08 04:29:09

lol Mich, yes I'm the same Ratty.  Its amazing where people pop up on the internet.  The good news with a bike setup, is that once its right, its stays right unlike those lovely 4 legged animals that we keep on having to get saddles fitted for. 

If you are concerned about falling with cleats - a couple of hours simply riding around on a piece of manicured lawn with elbow and knee pads' date=' clipping in and out, will give you a lot of confidence. 
[/quote']

or you could fall off once and next time guarenteed you will remember to clip out in time.

Zoo Cookie...Your wisdom is truly splendid!! Thats actually the most truthfull comment I have read in a long time...

I just want to ask you are you tense on the bike.  Know it soulds funny but I had a huge problem when I rode a road bike that I would tense up.  After about 2 km I would get pins and needles, not anly in my hands but feet as well. I would white nuckel the steering all the time till my aunt told me to relax after they passed me on the road one day.  If you relax on the bike as well you will have a other pos than if you are tense.  You can have the perfect bike setup, but you must learn to relax!!!

But bike setup and shoes are a major factor as well.  One good thing of a family that cycles is that you can get good tips from them.

So post away and tell us if it is getting and feeling better as well