PLASTI DIP AVAILABLE IN SOUTH AFRICA!!!!!

Plasti Dip SA

During the weekend while kayaking I came in over a reef and the barnacles shredded the bottom of the boat. I will be doing a little bit of plastic welding this afternoon to repair the damage.

I intent to sand everything down but would like to use this stuff for protective layering. Will it hold in seawater or peel off?

Maybe,..only 1 way to find out ,prob need something more like bitchumen .

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used less than 1 can for the entire frame.

There is still red and white available at Builders Warehouse Strubens Valley

• 1 month later...

I'm super tempted to take this stuff to my Ibis Mojo SL. I have the carbon finish frame, and was looking at doing a clearcoat to cover up some of the scratches I have...Thoughts?

Perhaps I'll test on a small area...like with skin products...unless someone has an unwanted bunny somwehere?

• 3 weeks later...

Not bad at all!

I have a few scuff marks where my bike rack makes contact with it and on my one chainstay from catching it on something. It seems to have got stronger over time and less likely to peel.

I gave the bike a full wash this week and even used a scrubbing brush to remove some mud stains and this had zero effect on the Plasti dip.

I will upload some pics of the scuffs if anyone is interested?

Not bad at all!

I have a few scuff marks where my bike rack makes contact with it and on my one chainstay from catching it on something. It seems to have got stronger over time and less likely to peel.

I gave the bike a full wash this week and even used a scrubbing brush to remove some mud stains and this had zero effect on the Plasti dip.

Do it smile.png

Not bad at all!

Please do. It can only help

You used to be able to get it in a tin, like normal paint (the kind you apply with a brush). You could just dip the handles of tools into it then hang them to dry. I thought if that was available in a clear, it might be worthwhile to remove your pedals, screw a bolt with the same pitch into the holes, then dip the bottoms of your crank arms into it. Once dry, cut the excess off the bolts then unscrew them and put the pedals back on. Instant crank bash protection. I've seen Spazcialized cranks with rubber caps on them, this could do the same job for any cranks.

You used to be able to get it in a tin, like normal paint (the kind you apply with a brush). You could just dip the handles of tools into it then hang them to dry. I thought if that was available in a clear, it might be worthwhile to remove your pedals, screw a bolt with the same pitch into the holes, then dip the bottoms of your crank arms into it. Once dry, cut the excess off the bolts then unscrew them and put the pedals back on. Instant crank bash protection. I've seen Spazcialized cranks with rubber caps on them, this could do the same job for any cranks.

I have seen the tins of this at Builders Warehouse. Its the one they use for rubberizing the handles of pliers etc

• 6 months later...

Bringing this up thread again.

I've decided to re-build my road bike into a singlespeed and will be using Plastidip for certain areas on the frame.

Just need to decide on colours.

Bringing this up thread again.

I've decided to re-build my road bike into a singlespeed and will be using Plastidip for certain areas on the frame.

Just need to decide on colours.

Check out the blaze blue and orange. I have just peeled the orange off my ss frame, as I now want a more smooth and shiny permanent finish. I bought it directly from the agents in Roodepoort.

Archived