How to ruin a great day at Van Gaalens

Firewater

Whatever you're riding; car, bike or bicycle; always assume that everybody else on the road is a complete idiot trying to kill you.

What amazes me is all these twits drive cars too - would they simply stop in the middle of a road in their cars? Maybe and maybe thats why they do it on a piece of fast singletrack. Down here, the "upriders" cause problems - the ones who insist on going up tracks that are predominantly fast downhill fun tracks - the distraction factor if you are on a fast section is huge, even if they are not actually in your way... Guess its just the human factor and part of the sport. I drive my car assuming everyone I encounter will drive badly - apply the same to MTB and you'll probably be the better off for it...

Not relevant to Van Gaalans but the last couple of times I have rode Breedts Nek, I have seen more than one cyclist bombing down the decent on the wrong side of the track.....

I decided to go to Van Gaalens for a late morning ride. I was having a great time, really giving it a go on the single track and on my way back next to the river. Next moment I came around a corner at speed to find a bunch of 'idiots' having a 'tea party' and a chat in the middle of the trail. I started to brake and swerved out only to have my handlebar get caught in the reeds and the bike ripped out from under me. Needless to say I went over the bars and ended up with a few scratches and bruises. My just-serviced bike ended up with a broken rear hangar, and a few other broken bits and pieces.

I was livid! The only response from this bunch was "Are u ok?". No apologies for standing in the middle of the trail or anything like that....

i just don't understand why you cannot move off the trial if you are not riding it, to make way for other who are. it's just common sense and common decency.

Now I have to fork out to repair my bike because others aren't thinking for themselves.

if you are not riding -MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!

Do you have a bell... ?

Had a similar thing at MTN park on Monday. Children on bikes too big for them standing in the middle of Ewok on one of the blind corners chatting away. Managed to stop in time but still not cool.

Saw them later again going into Zombie Birdhouse. Should have left them there to "have some fun" but instead warned them. :(

Not only Van Gaalens, on Tuesday, doing the popular loop over Breedts neck in the Hekpoort area. I was riding alone and coming from the opposite side was a large group of fellow mountain bikers. It was a flat piece of road and keeping to the left hand side of the road, I expected the group to show the same courtesy. Not a chance, I had to veer off the road because the group simply refused to budge. You get @rseholes in cars, on road bikes and mountain bikes.

Thanks guys.

Question: what would you have done if it was someone riding towards you as opposed to parked off? Going into a blind corner at a high speed is dangerous, no matter what you encounter on the other side!!

Being more of a roadie I was quite amazed there are dumb@ss MTBers golfers like that when I saw them!

You should have expected them...

Had a similar thing at MTN park on Monday. Children on bikes too big for them standing in the middle of Ewok on one of the blind corners chatting away. Managed to stop in time but still not cool.

Saw them later again going into Zombie Birdhouse. Should have left them there to "have some fun" but instead warned them. :(

Kids under 12 are supposed to be accompanied by an adult and seldom are; they make it a hazard to ride there on a weekend. Parents shouldnt just get their kid a bike and drop them off, teach them responsibility, rules, norms etc.

I fully agree. Ive had countless encounters with kids at MTN park, most of them looked about 12ish or so, riding unsupervised and irresponsibly.

Grinds my goat to have to slow down or stop on climbs. Completely breaks the little rhythm my unfit self has.

Next moment I came around a corner at speed to find a bunch of 'idiots' having a 'tea party' and a chat in the middle of the trail. I started to brake and swerved out only to have my handlebar get caught in the reeds and the bike ripped out from under me.

the million dollar question - do you have bar ends????