MTB Manual

videmiro

Geez, what the madder wit you guys, tell him to buy the manual instead. Mayhem, you of all people should've suggested THIS

I am assuming videmiro, that is not you "jumping from a roof" avatar?? Would you like to? Then get the book.

Yes I know. Got volume 1 and 2

I got the book. 2nd edition, however in my initial PM i was looking for something that you did differently, because the book is clearly not helping.

Thanks for your reply.

Regds

You are not pulling back hard enough.

Crouch over the bike smash your weight back, and as you start to rotate over the back wheel, extend your legs to push the back wheel forward. It is a fast, hard manouver, that becomes smooth as you progress.

Some bikes inherently manual easier than others, but it is more about weight shift than about the bike.

Best place to practice is a park or on a rugby field. You want to fall on something soft like grass.

Unleasgh the kid inside of you.

this is one of the areas that 26 trumps 29

esp for smaller folk

did a ride with lance and some his mates from epic, the one dude rode a niner ht he was about 5"4 and I have never seen a guy wheelie like that in real life before.

Try riding up a slight hill. Come to a stop ,lock the back brake and try pull up and back as hard as possible. You want to come up so far that you have to jump off the back. Obviously don't use cleats... Now you have found how hard to pull back to go over. Noww ride slowly and try again using slightly less force. You need to get your ass nearly on the back tire to balance it. Once you find how to get it up( wahey! ) Then use the back brake for control. Once you master this then you can learn to corner, pump rollers for speed, and show off as you come back into the parking lot at Tokai!

Try riding up a slight hill. Come to a stop ,lock the back brake and try pull up and back as hard as possible. You want to come up so far that you have to jump off the back. Obviously don't use cleats... Now you have found how hard to pull back to go over. Noww ride slowly and try again using slightly less force. You need to get your ass nearly on the back tire to balance it. Once you find how to get it up( wahey! ) Then use the back brake for control. Once you master this then you can learn to corner, pump rollers for speed, and show off as you come back into the parking lot at Tokai!

+1. Feels a bit strange at first, as if you're going to topple over. But you'll get used to the feeling of almost weightlessness and realise its the perfect place to be.

Whatever that is.

F**kin mountain bikers and their stupid f**kin made up words for things that have been around for as long as two wheels have. Go play golf, OP.

Bmx'ers, actually. But anyway. Wheelie is generally under power. Manual isn't.

Try to really emphasise throwing your weight back. Maybe try crouching forward to load the suspension first. You gotta get your butt way back off the seat so the wheel can lift high enough. Pushing with your feet will help get the bottom bracket more in front of you as well. Make sure you keep those arms straight in order to pull back evenly!

I suggest learning to wheelie first - as the other posters suggested - keep a finger on the back brake in case you feel youre gonna flip backwards. Once you are used to finding that balance point more easily you can try shifting your weight around more.

learn on a grass field and wear pads if u need to - whatever will give you the extra confidence you need.

Edited by Audible Anarchy

From personal experience, its bum back, finger on the brake and staying Lo ! Maybe practice on a pump track between rollers first to find the looping point and use the brake to save you! You can also start doing it in the driveway slowly, just throw your weight back completely and stop the bike before it loops out, as soon as you get used to being on the rear wheel, you can progress onto greater speeds ! Then set goals! Use cracks in the Road, or any form of measurement. I used bricks ! First 1m apart, Then 2, then 3 and so on! Before you know it you'll manual like a pro :)