What's your average speed??

my typical training ride round constantia nek, chapmans peak and ou kaapse weg is 750m climbing and I'll do that at 29-30kmph it's only 43km but there is not a lot of flat riding

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a great avg speed on an mtb, especially if you doing it alone.

I don't want to take all the credit, so I will admit that it is on a S-Works Stumpy 29er weighing 9.3kg, and my time is very limitted.

I don't want to take all the credit, so I will admit that it is on a S-Works Stumpy 29er weighing 9.3kg, and my time is very limitted.

That is outrageous! My specailized roubaix carbon road bike which I use for training weighs 9.5kg!

9.3kgs!!!! is outrageous for a 29er, lol. Still has to be pedalled though.

How long did it take you?

About a year and a half, but could be quicker.

Beginning of 2008, I started training with a lot more focus. I was racing E/F group and placing in the top twenty of the group. In Sep-Nov '08 I was seeded in A for some of the smaller races and B/C for the larger races. Beginning of '09 I was seeded in A for most races.

You could make it much quicker if you ask the organisers for a reseed based on results from earlier in the season. You'd have to pay a fee for 94.7 and Argus, though.

About the same speed for me on the road or mtb on tar. About 30-32km/h. Must say this has to stop. Gotta learn to do base training, not bliksem every ride. No seeding for the road (will start road races perhaps next year), but generally A bunch for mtb bunch starts.

I'm chuffed when I can do a 4hr tempo ride with just over 1000m of climbing at anything over 32km/h - on my own, and usually with a nasty South Easter for half the ride...

My training ride is usually from Strand to Rooi Els. That is more or less a 60km trip with around 600 - 700 m of climbing and traffic lights and speed bumps in Strand/GB. I average that at about 24km/h when alone. I have not done that trip in a bunch yet.

100-120km at 28 - 29km/h Brakenfell to somewhere up Franschoek Pass and back. But that is now while we are trying to get fit. Can't ride with the training groups just yet as I am too slow and fat.

I'm chuffed when I can do a 4hr tempo ride with just over 1000m of climbing at anything over 32km/h - on my own, and usually with a nasty South Easter for half the ride...

I would be chuffed with that too!

Normally a 60km loop around the Cradle average speed is 28-29km/h. In last race (tour of Durban) average was 31.5km/h on my own with no drafting.

I did a 3:51 hour ride (120 km) with 1000m of climbing but my legs bommed out at about 80km. I did hill training the day before so I didn't have the power to finish the ride.

Road bike - closed roads and on my own - 30km/h for an 80km ride.

Road bike - closed roads in a group - as fast as the group goes.

Road Bike - in traffic - varies depending on lights and taxis - but typically 24km/h for a 40km ride.

MTB XC - 21km/h for a 20 or 25km ride. 19 ish km/h for a 50km ride.

Once the starship enterpise tried to pass me, but it didnt.

...and I have proof :D

Edit: that comment's a bit ambiguous. I have no proof of Pieter1's claim. I was already light years ahead in the Falcon. I just have proof in general.

Edited by Minion

...and I have proof :D

Edit: that comment's a bit ambiguous. I have no proof of Pieter1's claim. I was already light years ahead in the Falcon. I just have proof in general.

Hahaha! All one needs is general proof.