Buying online save huge money

madmarc

Do not slip on the oil slick......DO NOT make the mistake. If you buy a car buy Toyata' date=' a GPS - Garmin, groupset - Shimano, bicycle tyres - Continental, bicycle - Raleigh and if you buy a heartrate monitor you buy POLAR!!!!!! Nothing beats them, good quality, quality service and works well and accurate.
[/quote']

Dude, Toyota is highly over rated. I'm very happy with my Honda, as well as my Sigma PC-15. I don't believe in paying for a name, just quality. Wink

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still driving my 95 Toyota, 330 000 on the clock, never stood on the side waving my thumb for a lift.

Dude' date=' Toyota is highly over rated. I'm very happy with my Honda, as well as my Sigma PC-15. I don't believe in paying for a name, just quality. Wink

[/quote']

Ditto I'm happy with my Renault, and my Blackburn Delphi 5.

bob_the_builder2008-01-09 00:39:52

Still driving my 95 Toyota' date=' 330 000 on the clock, never stood on the side waving my thumb for a lift.

[/quote']

Time for you to spend something on your car instead of bikes Smile

How many bikes have you had since '95?

and when you take into consideration the 30% duty that cycling shoes carry?

I bought in a box load of stuff from chainreaction including 2 sets of shimano shoes (madmarc, don't feel bad mine were also 48). I got hit with R25 clearing + VAT. I suspect, because it was declared as cycle equipment I didn't get hammered with the 30% you talk of.

I don't know if the game still runs the same, but a few years back my ex was involved with clearing etc and 'tarriff consultants' were the name of the game, because you could declare things in different ways. Using a simple example: a tyre could be a) rubber goods or b) bike parts - both of which attacted different duty rates. A good tarriff consultant was well paid, because he/she saved big importers a fortune.

rubber goods ...of which attacted different duty rates.

So I will not get hammered for bringing in that outfit from s&m.com.

AS mentioned, importers have to do things by the book which costs them money but then they are crucified if they say. "we don't service 'grey imports'"

I support my local dealer because if I have a problem he'll sort it out! 
steve2008-01-09 01:25:40

I imported cycling shoes in December and got hit with 30% duty so i definately still does exist.

As far as I'm aware there is no duty on all sports goods. The 30% duty mentioned earlier is to protect local clothing manufacturers. Therefore as long as the bill of goods states that the item is sports goods and NOT shoes, you shouldn't have a problem with duties.

BTW - The SA Post Office charges 15% VAT. I have no idea what the other 1% is about and have just learnt to accept it.

BTW - The SA Post Office charges 15% VAT. I have no idea what the other 1% is about and have just learnt to accept it.

It's for the poor service, delays and general incompetence. You think finding such poorly informed and un-helpfull staff is cheap?

Ja dude' date=' watch out when bringing in shoes!!!

When I went to fetch them I was banged with a R461.00 levy to get them.
[/quote']

With or without a lubricant? Did you at least ask them to use a condom? Geek
Leipheimer??

Brought in a 2nd hand Cervelo P3 frame. customs hit me R6300 import duty. Many e-mails later and phone calls- got an e-mail saying - " we have acted in the right way and we see this case as settled." I replied and ,    well - nothing!!! Like they said - case closed!!

It's for the poor service' date=' delays and general incompetence. You think finding such poorly informed and un-helpfull staff is cheap?

[/quote']

Very good. LOL Tongue

Another tip, you can phone the international parcel clearing hub 2 or 3 days after your parcel was sent with your international tracking number. They will then give you the local tracking number so that you can get your parcel before the incompetant gitts get a chance to mispace / steel it. Sometimes you get lucky and can collect the parcel directly at the hub itself.

Ja dude' date=' watch out when bringing in shoes!!!

When I went to fetch them I was banged with a R461.00 levy to get them.
[/quote']

With or without a lubricant? Did you at least ask them to use a condom? Geek
Leipheimer??

Only someone with a genuine homo inclination could make that connection... Remind me to keep my back against the wall when you walk past.

Sometimes you get lucky and can collect the parcel directly at the hub itself.

Can we just show our wrist bands when collecting?