Thaba Thoughee XCO Challenge.

Wendell

Hey Wendell

I am keen to enter this but am not sure about which option to choose, This would be my 1st XCO: Either the 20km Fun or the 20km Tough... could you explain a little bit about the course (route) for the Tough One so I can get an idea of it...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly... you won't get lapped !!! The tech. sections at Phambili are not as clean as Thaba, but Thaba tough, sharp short climbs, predictable decends where you can roll over, but nothing too difficult to walk!!!! The other option is to do the 20km fun ride. The terrain is hilly ( can't help that ) but the trail is clean and non technical. Jeep track and single track..

Thanks for the info - will most likely ride the XC. Even if it's just for training, as I don't think I am going to pushing for a podium place (ever). The pace of the XC at Phambili caught me!

Well I have just entered the Toughee - I will be the guy the back of the race. How many entries are there plus minus?

We will certainly be there!!!

As a family we ride the 20km XCO lap at least 2 or 3 times a month, it's really awesome and yes, there a a couple of climbs, you just have to put your head down and pedal, you eventually get to the top of the climb...

The "toughee" part is just that... if im not wrong, the most part of it was to be Wendell's "DH" track... and for some time it was even referred to as such... However, it's was expanded and now it's part of wendell's way... It's very technical, in the sense that the uphills are SUPER steep, rocky, loose and some tight turns and switchback... the downhill sections are really awesome, some serious drops and cutting over rock sections... but totally do-able.

To be honest I dont know how much of it will be ride-able for your first time, as the course certainly needs a bit of getting used to... But if you consider yourself TOUGH, and consider yourself to have TECH-Skills... then DO IT!!!

(PS> I ride the entire course, except for the total last piece of uphill right at the top where you go along right next to the fence... just cant drag myself up there yet, but I figure I will be able to do it once fitness gets better)!!!

Not tough and don't have technical skills but I'll be there, Greg we may fight for last place ;)

hey BEN- you doing XCO or Tougee then?

PS> I didn't mean to say people should only do it when they tough/fit? What I meant was DO IT - but just choose wisely between the XCO and Toughee!!!!!

you confuse me but the 20K XCO I guess?

LOL - I think a couple of people will be a bit confused if they expect the 20km XCO "Fun Ride" and end up entering the Toughee and come home to the finish line having kuked themselves....

I picked the tough one just hope it's the right one .... the one that cost 150 za ronds :(

Hey Ben, you might want to speak to Wendell, because when I chatted to him yesterday I got the impression the tough one is going to be the TOUGH route, and you need to bring your SKILLZ....

Hey Ben - then it's a race for last.

I've ridden all at Rietvlei, and at the recent Phambili XC found the tech stuff ok - but I must say, a little nervous about Thabo, heat of the moment does something to people, though it is my full intention to run the really tech downhills! We will see how that goes on the day!

Hey I ride the mine dumps in benoni all the time - though when you fall (and I do), it's sandy!

Thanks for route info "TheV" - sitting at work, wishing I was there now!

Ah - one day when my kids grow, riding as a family is what I would love.