April/May Madness - Where have all the suppliers gone?

David Greyling

Not sure if this has been dealt with but I have to rant as the situation really has become comical.

Why is it "ok" that for the time starting a couple of weeks before Epic, and until just after Sani, it is impossible to get anything out of our local suppliers?

I'm not going to name shops or brands as the issue extends beyond one of either of them. I've been trying to source specific brake hose and other components for a bike I'm building. I placed orders for the hose and other components just after the epic through a shop as I'm "supposed" to do. Since then without fail the excuse for non-delivery is "well it's epic/ joburg to sea/ sani so things are bit hectic".

The original reasoning to go local was to try and speed things up as the new bike was ready to ride barring those parts. Once again I should have just ordered from CRC. The bike stands waiting, and has done for almost a month now. Amazing that an industry of this size still acts like a small niche group, rather than stepping up and delivering. I know most of the businesses are being managed by riders, but perhaps it's time to employ at least a manager who doesn't disappear every time there is a big race.

Selling price less costs equal profits....................

More managers less profit.........

Screw the consumer, will be back within a week anyway............??????

Stock of lots of things can be scarce around the big races.

For example.... I have heard that there are hardly any Shimano chains anywhere - fortunately I know there are plenty of FSA chains at the agents but not many people know that.

Edited by slick

True. We have learned to counter this by piling up some essential stock before the Argus and Epic. Chains, bottle cages, lube...lots of stuff runs out the week or two before and then we too get stuck.

Noting the trends and then planning ahead is the name of the game. :thumbup:

I carry my own stock (where I can), and don't wait till I require the spares. It has always been a problem, where the LBS carries limited stock and not much variety.

Edited by Dustbin Dog

Im pretty gatvol of this as well. Ecven some of the really obscure distributors simply close shop and go watch the Sani/Epic and pretend they're offering support.

On a slightly different note, why is it that men like to bring their bikes in for a service at the last minute, whilst the women make arrangements months before? I absolutely hate planning but I didn't know that all men do?

CRC my friends .

Pre plan all your needs and carry your own spares , simple

I've also ran into this problem...

The work of a local supplier is to SUPPLY and carry enough stock so we as retailers can supply to the public... The customers doesn't **** on the suppliers head but on mine!

To be honest how can you run out of 10spd chainrings, 10spd chains, 10spd powerlocks...

We started our own shop with our own capital, no massive corporate sponser/involvement and thus carrying 10/20 items of each chainring or chain is not possible. We carry enough of everything to last us +-a week but if your supplier hasn't had stock for over a month of the basic essentials how do they suppose we keep clients happy... In that case I fully understand why some people prefer shopping from over da ocean...