Bike rack: Tow bar or Clip on?

The Convert

Having bought a MTB recently, I can no longer rely on the option of travelling with my bike in the car (easy with my road bike). I need a bike rack asap and am looking at Thule options. Have read lots on the Hub about this.

My simple question is: regardless of the pros and cons of both, which is the better decision... get a towbar fitted to my Polo and buy a Thule (of some sort) to go on the towbar, or forget the towbar and do the clip on option? Votes please...

I'm acttually considering a Thule clip-on since my current no-name clip-on scratches my car and my bike as well . Spending on tow bars every time you change you car is very expensive imo.

Quick hijack ... I've got a Chev Spark - goes without saying I can squeeze one bike into the car but two is totally out of the question.  Not allowed to put a towbar on because then I'd lose my warranty so I've been looking at the Bones or Hang-On option - anyone have an idea of price?

Quick hijack ... I've got a Chev Spark - goes without saying I can squeeze one bike into the car but two is totally out of the question.  Not allowed to put a towbar on because then I'd lose my warranty so I've been looking at the Bones or Hang-On option - anyone have an idea of price?

You can't put a tow bar on by they are allowed to breakdance on roof tops.

You can't put a tow bar on by they are allowed to breakdance on roof tops.

LOLLOL I didn't buy that specific model unfortunately.

I paid about R1300 for the Thule 3 bike. If you in Jhb, visit Thule in Woodmead. They are very helpful and will fit the rack for you.

I have a holdfast tow bar-mounted one and I am quite happy with it. It is the one on which the bikes "stand". I drive a bakkie and every now and then take my mountain bike up to the farm in Nam. VERY bad road between Pofadder and Onseepkans, but I've never had problems. It is pretty strong. Just make sure to lock it, as the fasteners can work loose.

Having said that, If my car was without towbar, I'd probably not buy one just for carrying bikes.

Be careful of Thule Woodmead's prices - they are the MOST expensive (sorry Thule Woodmead). People think that by going directly to them they are cheaper. True, they are very helpful, but they are pricey. You would get a cheaper deal buying Thule products at a bike shop. Promise.

Either buy a Volvo station wagon, or aN ML500. You'd be surprised how many bikes you'll get in the back of both.

7 in the Volvo, & 5 in the ML...

Guess that was pointless info...Towbar!