Oi, come ride with us Friday evening

Johan Bornman

Come come, find an old bike, hide the Lycra and ride the Jo'burg Critical Mass ride this Friday Evening.

Details of the ride is posted in the separate Critical Mass thread and on that Bookface interweb thingy under Critical Mass Johannesburg (so the geeks tell me). I want to make a separate appeal in case you have not followed the original thread.

I recently had the privilege of doing a mini Critical Mass with this crowd and it was great fun. I came on a shiny road bike with skinny tyres and wearing cycling shorts. I was waaaay overdressed and over-equipped. I got gawked at and the first time in 14 years had my bike admired.

For this Friday's ride I'm cutting off a jean pant, finding some nice German socks for my sandals and building a lekker mongrel bike with six gears, major bullhorns and a polka dot front wheel that's been looking for a debut occasion for months.

These are no ordinary rides. They're like your student years thirty years on. Beer, pizza, wimmen and a town begging to be painted red.

The pace is as slow or fast as you want to make it, with two distance options and a chosen end destination so you can end up there at your own time.

Don't miss it.

Why Critical Mass is a GREAT INITIATIVE TO SUPPORT

"As a country we have made bold commitments about climate change and lowering emissions. One of the most obvious and least expensive ways of doing this is promoting non-motorised transport, especially cycling.

Our cities' mayors need to put their money where their mouths are and make our cities more bicycle-friendly. For example, we need a network of cycle paths and lanes demarcated on our roads. We also need public awareness campaigns about the importance of looking out for cyclists and ensuring their safety.

And we need to promote cycling as not only a middle-class sport, but as a more affordable form of transport for everyone. The Bicycle Empowerment Network in Cape Town has been doing inspiring work along these lines, setting up cycling centres and bicycle shops in low-income communities on the Cape Flats.Given the lethargy of our politicians on this issue, we also need visible activism to give the issue more prominence. I am inspired by the efforts of Critical Mass Johannesburg, who have organised night rides on the last Friday of every month and take over the streets of Johannesburg. Let's build a critical mass to demand more cycle-friendly cities in South Africa." :clap:

:clap:

:clap:

Come come, find an old bike, hide the Lycra and ride the Jo'burg Critical Mass ride this Friday Evening.

Details of the ride is posted in the separate Critical Mass thread and on that Bookface interweb thingy under Critical Mass Johannesburg (so the geeks tell me). I want to make a separate appeal in case you have not followed the original thread.

I recently had the privilege of doing a mini Critical Mass with this crowd and it was great fun. I came on a shiny road bike with skinny tyres and wearing cycling shorts. I was waaaay overdressed and over-equipped. I got gawked at and the first time in 14 years had my bike admired.

For this Friday's ride I'm cutting off a jean pant, finding some nice German socks for my sandals and building a lekker mongrel bike with six gears, major bullhorns and a polka dot front wheel that's been looking for a debut occasion for months.

These are no ordinary rides. They're like your student years thirty years on. Beer, pizza, wimmen and a town begging to be painted red.

The pace is as slow or fast as you want to make it, with two distance options and a chosen end destination so you can end up there at your own time.

Don't miss it.

Love the write up, glad you enjoyed it. And every bike needs a little admiration

Ja. Even if you only have an ordinary bike just dress it and yourself up.

Garfield owns the retro look though. Bikes which look like there were made in the early 1900s, complete with 0,0002 Watt gas lamp, brouges.... the works.

Edited by slick