Data roaming costs-be warned!

Mojoman

Went to Abu Dhabi last year November. Hotel wanted to charge for wifi. Just got a sim and loaded airtime. Skyped for long hours with family while there and probably spent less than R300 in total. Data roaming or even cell roaming is ridiculous.

Roaming is excess of R300/mb....

ask my boss, he's had to approve many cell phone bills while I travelled Europe and Africa on business.

autopage got this VIP program, R24k/year on phone to enter, I hit that nearly times per month.

G

Went to Abu Dhabi last year November. Hotel wanted to charge for wifi. Just got a sim and loaded airtime. Skyped for long hours with family while there and probably spent less than R300 in total. Data roaming or even cell roaming is ridiculous.

black berry is allot cheaper than a iPhone...

Best is get a local sim card, or buy wifi from hotel. still allot cheaper, even at their rates.

G

I have to go to South America in a week. I need to keep in touch with my mails on my blackberry. How do i go about doing this without getting a massive bill? I won't be browsing the net, just reading and replying to mails if i have too

I have to go to South America in a week. I need to keep in touch with my mails on my blackberry. How do i go about doing this without getting a massive bill? I won't be browsing the net, just reading and replying to mails if i have too

Get urself one of there local 3G dongles and a pay as u go card.

While reading this thread, I p,p'd myself when I noticed a vodacom banner ad for datapackages running at the bottom of the page...

Heard of a R700k bill for roaming in the US, person had a download of an app on their iPhone that kept restarting or something. It's gotta take years off your life when you get that account!

ouch... that will be difficult to explain, resolve, and I thought my R23K was bad, but then it was followed by multiple R15K months and followed by some more R20K months, and then I made bosses day and dropped to below R10K for a couple of months.

G

Heard of a R700k bill for roaming in the US, person had a download of an app on their iPhone that kept restarting or something. It's gotta take years off your life when you get that account!

+1

My wife went to Germany the other day and I did some homework beforehand. She just got herself another sim on arrival.

Seems we dont have a lot of traveleres here, hell most countries will give you 500mb data for 10 pounds, or 12 euro or 16 dollah, first thing you do when you get across the border is get a simcard from the country you are in. Anybody who enables any kind of roaming on their phones are looking to get punished.