Taken out by a car, updated.

Plentipotential

How can a youngster of 23 not have a drivers licence?

My son is turning 18 in a months time, and he has already booked the appointment for his licence more than a month ago.

Open an accident report at your local SAPS station.

In your statement mention that the kid had no licence and didn't want to give his name or other details.

They will trace the vehicle registration number. They might even give you the details if you ask nicely, and explain that you wish to get in touch with his parents.

If the parents don't want to play ball, there is the small claims court, where you can claim for damages to a max of R5000-00. (Might have been increased, it has been quite a while since I last checked on that one.)

hey Bud . i know of a few people with no drivers licenses EVER. and some of them wer/are in their late 50"s. not sure how they get around ,but it must be one hell of a restrictive life.

If the parents don't want to play ball, there is the small claims court, where you can claim for damages to a max of R5000-00. (Might have been increased, it has been quite a while since I last checked on that one.)

Small claims up to R12500 now.

1) Go to the copshop, and make a decent, clearly written statement, void of any emotions.

2) Ask the cops if they would be willing to give you address information on the car's owners, as you'd like to try and find restitution outside of court.

3) Go to 3 (pain in the butt) bike shops and get assessment for repairing you bike and kit. Include everything that seems fair - helmet replacement, torn clothes, etc. Get the shop to draft a letter (they should have one ready from most manufacturers) as to why, for example, the helmet needs replacement. DON'T SPECIFY UPGRADED PARTS, as tempting as you may think it is.

4) Get a lawyer's letter drawn up. These cost (normally) in the region of R500 and should include delivery by the lawyer's office. The lawyer should help here, but you need to include the details of the incident, the details of the damage, and then he three quotes as well, offering the option of payment by them for the repairs to your bike and kit as full and final compensation for damages incurred. Also include a due date - 30 days should suffice

5) Have the letter delivered - if not by the lawyer, by a courier company that will ask for ID and signature before delivering.

6) From here one of two things will happen - they will either contact you (or your lawyer) to negotiate, or they will ignore you. If the 30 days is up and they have not PAID you (at this point you can ignore letters and statements etc) institute a small claim - once gain ask a lawyer for his advice on how best to approach this, as they will know best, but cannot represent you at small claims court. This should fall under a consultation, expect to fork out R300 - R500 for this 'service' from the lawyer. You can add this to your claim (as well as the original letter's cost)

7) Be patient - the SCC is packed and overworked. A claim can take up to a year to be heard, and may be postponed or delayed.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

Quick follow up as suggested by Scooterza.

I imported a few parts from CRC, had the wheel rebuilt locally and my insurance paid me out for the helmet. All in I was out of pocket for just over 4 grand. The youngster agreed to pay me back at R500 a month. Three months go by without any problems and then he tells me he lost his job. I was huffed but it's just not worth the hassle to be honest. What did happen post the incident was my thinking about how lucky I actually was. Just as the car was about to hit me I realized that if it hit my leg I was going to be in shite and must have subconsciously pulled my foot from the cleat. The crank was so badly bent that it could not turn past the frame (impact side at the top of the cycle). Had the crank been at the bottom of the cycle and the car had hit my leg I would have been in real trouble.

Some things are more important than others. I struggle to get enthusiastic about riding and have considered selling the bike. Thing is I really used to enjoy cycling as a way of getting some alternate exercise to swimming and canoeing. So easy as you are exercising as soon as you ride out of the gate as opposed to driving to the canoe club or pool. The open ground not far from my house which was a great place to ride has become the latest place for builders/rubble removal folk to dump their loads and that wrinkles my bag but I guess in time I will find alternate routes and get back on the bike. I think I lost more than a few grand but I'll dry my eyes and man up soon enough and get back to 3 rides a week.

Take care out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update. Sorry it didn't work out 100%. But you are right to focus on the good stuff. I was knocked off my bike by a taxi a while ago. I escaped 100% unharmed except my ego and the &^*^ just drove off which really pee'd me off! Reported it to the cops - his number plate was fake (surprise!).

I really simmered for a while but have totally forgotten about it now. (Until I remember when reading a post like yours of course!)

Hopefully the little monkey got a big fright and will think twice before doing something as stupid again!

I reckon you are thinking this through correctly and don't beat yourself up about going through the process... As testosterone filled as we are, when something serious like this happens you it does take a while to build back up.

I switched my commuter route yesterday from majority main roads to suburban, finalised the route this morning. 4 minutes longer to get into work but I ride about 500m with heavy traffic as opposed to almost 11-12km. I felt far safer and less stressed when I got this side. Maybe work out a route that doesnt make use of heavily trafficked rouds as a starter.

I reckon you are thinking this through correctly and don't beat yourself up about going through the process... As testosterone filled as we are, when something serious like this happens you it does take a while to build back up.

I switched my commuter route yesterday from majority main roads to suburban, finalised the route this morning. 4 minutes longer to get into work but I ride about 500m with heavy traffic as opposed to almost 11-12km. I felt far safer and less stressed when I got this side. Maybe work out a route that doesnt make use of heavily trafficked rouds as a starter.

What's the route???

Follow the train line from Plumstead (on the M5 side of the train tracks)

Go under the bridge at Wetton Rd

Get onto Gibson

At t junction go left and get onto 2nd avenue (which by the way has awesome little pubs and food spots!)

up second avenue, over landsdowne via a robot

Carry on Livingstone and veer slightly left to get onto St Thomas.

Over Keurboom to get into Keurboom park (which is cool)

Then onto Tulley Allen

Left into Sandown.

Cross over onto dirt road parking on right hand side... follow it along through a narrow pedestrian gate, over the entrance to Bishops and onto the petrol station at Rondebosch common...

Go on bike lane, tunnel under camp ground Rd and continue on the bike path eventually ending up way further down on Campground...

Straight onto Klipfontein and get into the bike lane on Raapenberg and turn off forest drive and TADA PINELANDS!

Nice thing is not too many stop starts and most roads on the route have traffic calming measures which makes owning the lane far easier!!!