Item lost by the Post Office

Jhb area the PO was on strike for 3 weeks before anyone noticed.

I would be question my value if i was on strike for 3 weeks and no one noticed.

Bwah ha ha :w00t:

My understanding of it is they have a responsibility to deliver the parcel (exactly the same as your courier does) so you are entitled to claim compensation from them if that doesn't happen. If it gets damaged in transit then you might battle as it is your responsibility to package it appropriately. I will let you know the outcome of my claim (hopefully sometime in the next few days) which is exactly as mentioned above - the driver signed for it and it never reached the PO (Speed Services). The manager of the relevant PO has indicated in writing that they would refund me though which will make it more difficult for them to dispute it.

No, you are wrong. You will only get compensation if you insured the parcel. If it gets lost uninsured you can't even claim the cost of the postage!

No, you are wrong. You will only get compensation if you insured the parcel. If it gets lost uninsured you can't even claim the cost of the postage!

True. I send electronics to my daughter each year to Durban via SAPO and always insure. Just yesterday I posted her BB9300 but made sure I had insurance. They also only cover lost or stolen, not damage with insurance (as per SAPO yesterday).

EDIT: I must be lucky as I mail her a new phone every 24mths, sent a new laptop last year, etc and nothing has ever gone wrong.

Postage is generally the buyers risk unless otherwise agreed.

But if you insisted on a specific service and the sender used any other method, he carries the risk. ?

So if I was quoted R400 - R500 (and paid the amount) for a courier and then the item was sent via the PO, I actually have a leg to stand on? I'd honestly prefer not to go this route, but right now I'm the one that has to shell out for a new bike, whilst the seller is completely unaffected.

Postage is generally the buyers risk unless otherwise agreed. I have been fighting the post office since March last year for a R7,5k package Speed Services has admitted was stolen by their driver. They agreed to pay, but I have never seen a cent of it. You can apparently complain to ICASA, but after 3 months I am still trying to get an answer from them on my complaint... Basically just keep trying! Icasa's website gives you a good idea of the process to be followed. As far as I am aware the insurance is only for damage to the goods in transit - it is their duty to get it delivered to the destination as that is the service you have employed them to do and that doesn't require additional insurance.

i posted a comment on the hub about a year ago,about my wheels being stolen at the post office

SAPO informed us that they had received the item and that a whole parcel of items including my wheels had gone missing,they asked me to complete the form for my refund.

over a year later and numerous follow ups .................... well it's costing me more in time now !

Edited by bassasdaindia

So if I was quoted R400 - R500 (and paid the amount) for a courier and then the item was sent via the PO, I actually have a leg to stand on? I'd honestly prefer not to go this route, but right now I'm the one that has to shell out for a new bike, whilst the seller is completely unaffected.

If thats the case, I would be fuming right now :cursing: Then it falls back on the senders shoulders for taking the chance going the PO route.

Your R400 was probably just enough for normal post based on volumetric weight. Speed services would've been four times that. Check out the post office website for fees.

if you want to psyche up for any reason, go pay a visit to the local Post Office. I guarantee you will come out of there more P.O'ed then when you arrived (no pun intended!). Also waiting for a couple of CRC parcels send 3 weeks ago. the parcels sent registered at the same time have arrived although I had to queue for an hour to collect them.

So he guestimates the quote and then downgrades the service in order to not make a loss. And this is my fault how?

This sounds way dodgy :thumbdown:

Your R400 was probably just enough for normal post based on volumetric weight. Speed services would've been four times that. Check out the post office website for fees.

Post Office does not use Volumetric weight for parcel post. They use actual weight for parcel post. Couriers and Speed Post use volumetric weight.

I would guess a bike would cost about R200 to post and about R2000 to Speed Post.

If thats the case, I would be fuming right now :cursing: Then it falls back on the senders shoulders for taking the chance going the PO route.
So he guestimates the quote and then downgrades the service in order to not make a loss. And this is my fault how?
if you want to psyche up for any reason, go pay a visit to the local Post Office. I guarantee you will come out of there more P.O'ed then when you arrived (no pun intended!). Also waiting for a couple of CRC parcels send 3 weeks ago. the parcels sent registered at the same time have arrived although I had to queue for an hour to collect them.
This sounds way dodgy :thumbdown:

IMA TOI TOI soon :clap: