Wheels or Fork

MariusC

So I need to know what to save up for first. What would make the most significant difference, Upgrading the wheelset or upgrading to a New fork.

Current wheelset : formula DC20 alloy front hub, Shimano M475 alloy rear hub; Bontrager AT-850 disc 32-hole rims

The fork : SR Suntour XCM coil with lockout

Assistance in guiding me to make the right choice is much appreciated. :P

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bike?

Normally I would say wheels as that will give you the biggest performance gain in terms of time. But I'm sure a new fork will give you a massive performance gain in terms of control and will will inevitably lead to time gain.

Final Answer: Fork

Edited by The Crow

The fork : SR Suntour XCM coil with lockout

Get a new fork and you will feel a huge difference in the way your bike handles.

A better fork would make a huge difference in control and comfort, and ultimately your enjoyment of the ride.

Definitely fork first only because those suntour forks are notoriously terrible and handle like a tractor. Generally wheels are what you'd upgrade first but in your case do the shock first, look at the rockshox Revelation or if you can afford it I much prefer fox forks.

I went from a Suntour coil something or other to a White Brothers/Fox - massive difference.

I then went from (very)old-school Shimano's to a pair of new Cane Creeks - I noticed a difference, but it wasn't nearly as noticeable as the first upgrade.

My 2 cents.

ok so what fork would you suggest?

Depends on what type of riding you do but i don't think that frame will handle more than 100mm travel.

I would go for the Fork first.

A good air fork makes a big difference to just about everything including comfort.

Fork - coil to air is like moving from a 1.1 L car to a 1.6L makes a world of difference.

Note you have to have nice wheels too, what is your budget? Maybe you can get away with both

Fork - coil to air is like moving from a 1.1 L car to a 1.6L makes a world of difference.

Note you have to have nice wheels too, what is your budget? Maybe you can get away with both

don't have a budget yet. Still need to see what I can afford without the wife killing me

ok so what fork would you suggest?

Reba. Revelation won't work on your frame unless you space it down, but then you might as well just go with a Reba to begin with.

On most bikes, but not always and for all applications.

Edited by The Crow

Def Fork - I did the upgrade on my first bike - Mongoose TYAX. Went from the OEM Suntour Fork to a Reba Team. Huge difference - the whole bikes handling characteristics changed....and when i eventually upgraded the frame to a Giant XTC, the fork was good for a few more km......