Stolen Bike Found!!!!

Dean De Jager

I think it will be difficult for the employer to take action, he has not been charged or convicted of anything merely accused. The person who's bike it is should follow up on the original theft report, if there was one. If not then its even more difficult to do anything.

I think it will be difficult for the employer to take action, he has not been charged or convicted of anything merely accused. The person who's bike it is should follow up on the original theft report, if there was one. If not then its even more difficult to do anything.

It's assumed that the guy who had the bike in his possession stole it! The owner should pursue the matter with the police so that the matter is cleared and the eventual thief brought to book. Those in possession of stolen bikes should also be prosecuted. They create the market for thieves. However, good work in recovery of the bike!

what do you expect the owner to do??? he cant fire him, cant hit him, cant do anything.......

While this thread changes direction with this discussion, my gardener's bike was taken, we went looking for it and found it a few km's away.

The guy who was riding it, also had his girfriend on the crossbar, so when we confronted him, he said a guy had just sold him the bike for R50. I put the bike in the back of the bakkie, but the guy wanted his R50 back and I said no he should not have stolen the bike.

Technically speaking ...... did I steal the bike ? If the guy took my number plate, could he lay claim to a theft with the cops?

Nope, he was in possession of stolen property which is a crime in itself. You were merely assisting in returning it to it's rightful owner who identified it as his property.

Agreed... Caveat emptor (Buyer beware) - you have no ownership rights if you buy something that is stolen. If the guy really did buy the bike for 50 bucks, he could sue the real thief for the R50....

am I allowed to just take something that has been bought and claimed as stolen ?

so I can I go to the local cash crusaders, prove that the bike is mine, and just take it ?

am I allowed to just take something that has been bought and claimed as stolen ?

so I can I go to the local cash crusaders, prove that the bike is mine, and just take it ?

Pretty much, to bad for the guy that bought the stolen bike, he should have asked questions.

if its in a cash crusaders I would say you'd want the cops involved rather... otherwise you will probably be headbutted gallary style by their security guard....

The law provides that stolen property can be removed from even the 3rd, 4th,5th person in the possession queue without compensation whether he bought it knowing it's stolen or not. But it makes sense that the authorities need to handle this. For all the 3rd,4th guy knows, he may be the lawful owner of the item.