[Event] Rijk Tulbagh MTB Race & Funride

cji

Got a MTB club going and some guys building some very nice st, so watch this space....:)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seemed like a great ride. Don't think I heard any negative comments. Enjoyed working there. Well done on a first time event. Can only get bigger from here.

The ride was tough, the valley was just turned into a bog. Even the flat singletrack felt like uphill as the bike just sank into the earth. The race was very well organised and the views at most points were breathtaking. On a dry day it could be one of the best routes in the WC. The climbing was very hard and thank goodness they took out one of the climbs but all in all it was a superb day out. Also the festival i Tulbagh was nice, the food was awesome and the beer went down great.

I heard that some of the people got medals, i didnt. Will mine perhaps be sent to me? I do all the events just to get a medal, but very disapponted that i did not get one!

Johan,

Hulle het net 200 medaljes gemaak en ek dink daar het bietjie n fout gekom met die uitdeel daarvan.Was bietjie onkant gevang met die goeie opkoms,so dink dit sal volgende jaar beter gaan.

Looks like there was also a problem with the timing-mats - a lot of riders who finished the 70 km route did'nt get time / placing on Racetec.

Looks like there was also a problem with the timing-mats - a lot of riders who finished the 70 km route did'nt get time / placing on Racetec.

If possible,can you phone racetec with one or two names that didn't get the right times. Timing was their responsibility and they ask enough money to sort it out.

Edited by Jorrie

did the 40km - a lovely route with lots of variety, fantastic views, and enough challenges (especially with the mud!). thought the event was well-organised, especially being a first. a few suggestions for improvement:

• would be nice to know exactly how long the routes are beforehand - the 40km turned out to be 44km, and the last 4km's were a slog. I know there were some last-minute changes to the routes as a result of the weather, but it would still be nice to know the exact route distance. (told a guy whose chain broke that it was only 2km to the end...turned out to be 6km - I'm sure he didn't appreciate that).
  • lucky draw advertised as taking place at 3pm, but took place earlier. some people hung about in town and returned at 3pm, just to find it all over... scheduling it for earlier would be sensible, as the lag after finishing is too much - but don't change scheduled times on the day!

just some constructive criticism...but I'll definitely be back next year (hopefully doing the 70km...as long as its not 77km!)

did the 40km - a lovely route with lots of variety, fantastic views, and enough challenges (especially with the mud!). thought the event was well-organised, especially being a first. a few suggestions for improvement:

• would be nice to know exactly how long the routes are beforehand - the 40km turned out to be 44km, and the last 4km's were a slog. I know there were some last-minute changes to the routes as a result of the weather, but it would still be nice to know the exact route distance. (told a guy whose chain broke that it was only 2km to the end...turned out to be 6km - I'm sure he didn't appreciate that).
  • lucky draw advertised as taking place at 3pm, but took place earlier. some people hung about in town and returned at 3pm, just to find it all over... scheduling it for earlier would be sensible, as the lag after finishing is too much - but don't change scheduled times on the day!

just some constructive criticism...but I'll definitely be back next year (hopefully doing the 70km...as long as its not 77km!)

The routes were changed during the week, so it was difficult for the organisers to give the exact distances, but I am sure they will have them next year. Don't worry, as far as I know, the 70km actually ended up as about 66km.

Apologies from my side on the early lucky draw. It was held after all the riders had finished as is often done at PPA events when all the riders finish before the cut off and prize-giving time. I personally feel that it should be advertised for about 14H30 or even 14H00, but the organisers can make the call once they have looked at the riding times and see how many people would have missed the cut off if it was earlier.

Hopefully will see you there next year again. Really enjoyed working at the event.

I was also a bit upset not getting a medal for trying the big distance.

Took me long enough but it's always nice to come home with something to show the wife that I didn't just go out for a beer with the mates.

Although the amount of mud I brought back was also pretty good proof of a tough ride.

Bloody chain was screetching the last 20 km and the derailer kept jamming on the steep climbs forcing me to push.

Would be fair/nice if you could send those a medal that never got.

Ek was slegs betrokke by die roetes en nie die res van die reëlings nie, maar sal kyk wat ons kan doen rondom die medaljes. Wat die afstande van die roetes betref glo ek sal ons dit volgende jaar "spot on" hê. Ons het 'n dag voor die race van die paaie verander agv die modder en is maar die rede vir die afstande wat nie reg was nie.

Ok, I know I am going to get shot down on this one. And please remember, I am not the event organiser, but merely stating my opinion.

I personally don't give a continental if there's a medal or not. When I used to ride, or run, I used to do it for the enjoyment of the ride/run, being, or getting, fit and enjoying the beauty of the countryside. For me, I would much rather have a great route, quick registration and the knowledge that if something goes wrong the organisers are ready to assist as quickly as humanly possible.

Further to this, medals cost money. I would rather that money goes towards whatever fund the event is supporting.

Maybe I am strange (yep, I can hear many of you agreeing :lol: , lol), but I don't need a bit of metal or badge to know that I have done something good for myself and had a great day doing it. I don't need to show my friends my time or medal, I do it for me and enjoy it internally. And if I can help someone along the way, or get them to the event, or whatever, even better.

My personal feeling is to say that the organiser shouldn't make any more medals, rather keep that money and use it for the scholarship fund that the ride contributes to.

Ok, time for me to get shot, he he.

Ok, I know I am going to get shot down on this one. And please remember, I am not the event organiser, but merely stating my opinion.

I personally don't give a continental if there's a medal or not. When I used to ride, or run, I used to do it for the enjoyment of the ride/run, being, or getting, fit and enjoying the beauty of the countryside. For me, I would much rather have a great route, quick registration and the knowledge that if something goes wrong the organisers are ready to assist as quickly as humanly possible.

Further to this, medals cost money. I would rather that money goes towards whatever fund the event is supporting.

Maybe I am strange (yep, I can hear many of you agreeing :lol: , lol), but I don't need a bit of metal or badge to know that I have done something good for myself and had a great day doing it. I don't need to show my friends my time or medal, I do it for me and enjoy it internally. And if I can help someone along the way, or get them to the event, or whatever, even better.

My personal feeling is to say that the organiser shouldn't make any more medals, rather keep that money and use it for the scholarship fund that the ride contributes to.

Couldn't agree more,whenever I get home from a race with a medal I give it to the kids, they play with it for half an hour and then it end up in one of there play bins. After 10 or more races they really are more in the way than anything els. I'd prefer paying R10 less without getting any medal. Have a shot at me....

Just to put things in perspective. One really don't have a clue before a new event like this how many cyclists will participate.One of the purposes of the race was to raise funds for the local school, so the last thing you want to do is sit with couple of hundred extra medals. At R10/medal it is quite a lot of money. Any way will get it right next year.

Edited by Jorrie

No need to get shot. I agree with you 100%. Unless it is a big race.. Epic, Transbaviaans or something. These little races are not worth it. I was looking forward to the 1700 of climbing on the long route and only got 1200 on my Garmin. Can I have a free entry next year? (worth a shot)!!

No need to get shot. I agree with you 100%. Unless it is a big race.. Epic, Transbaviaans or something. These little races are not worth it. I was looking forward to the 1700 of climbing on the long route and only got 1200 on my Garmin. Can I have a free entry next year? (worth a shot)!!

How about a couple of extra climbs just for you next year. :devil: We've used google earth to map the route and got the elevation from that, was wondering how accurate it is, obviously not that accurate. Next year you can visit me the weekend before the race then we can map it with your garmin... and work that extra climbs in we owe you... :whistling:

How about a couple of extra climbs just for you next year. :devil: We've used google earth to map the route and got the elevation from that, was wondering how accurate it is, obviously not that accurate. Next year you can visit me the weekend before the race then we can map it with your garmin... and work that extra climbs in we owe you... :whistling:

I'm hoping that by next year I should be fit enough and then can come out in the week and go ride it. Then I can let people know what I think of the ride and you can have accurate figures (I use 3 different gadgets to measure route length and elevation etc - gadget freak, I know :w00t: ).