Advice for a newbie please

Joe_Cogs

Anyone have any tips on buying equipment?

I am looking to buy pants, gloves and shoes. I have a bike (Silverback strider) and have done a few races which I have really enjoyed.

Are there any cheap shops out there? I am not looking to break the bank as I am just staring out... Looking for shoes around R400 - R500. Pants for R300 - R400. You get my spend bracket.

I have looked at chain reaction cycles and they seem to be the best so far. Every other shop is at least triple the price! :cursing:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any tips on buying equipment?

I am looking to buy pants, gloves and shoes. I have a bike (Silverback strider) and have done a few races which I have really enjoyed.

Are there any cheap shops out there? I am not looking to break the bank as I am just staring out... Looking for shoes around R400 - R500. Pants for R300 - R400. You get my spend bracket.

I have looked at chain reaction cycles and they seem to be the best so far. Every other shop is at least triple the price! :cursing:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

CRC not good for clothes or shoes - you will pay 50% ind taxes and import costs.

If you looking for budget sportswear you have to go to Mr Price Sports or Sportsmans WH in Fourways.

You can get Olympic Hurricane shoes from Sportsmans Warehouse around R650-R750.

Edited by FeO

Wow, quick responses! Thanks to the both of you... I will have a squiz at Sportsman's warehouse.

Cajees have a good clothes section and then "stry them af"

Thanks - Where are they situated?

firstly... Wellcome the the sport of CYCLING!!! :clap: :clap:

Haha... why thank you. I am loving it so far - been doing quite a bit of trail riding. Seems "holes in your shins" is the norm in this sport :w00t:

First stop Trailseeker series, next stop Epic!

Bought a pair of Serfas shoes from linden cycles the other day as as a spare set and have landed up using them more than my other shoes. around R500

good value.

Also bike shop branded kit like shorts and shirts usually work out cheaper than non branded stuff and most will do for a first kit.

Olympic shoes really are a good suggestion as its about the only cheap item thats worth something, but in general in the world of cycling the expensive stuff is better so to avoid having to buy and re buy go for as high end as you can afford. Its not a cheap hobby but its worth every cent.

CRC not good for clothes or shoes - you will pay 50% ind taxes and import costs.

Surely you only have to pay for delivery costs to South Africa? I mean if it's an extra R100 on the price I can handle that

Bought a pair of Serfas shoes from linden cycles the other day as as a spare set and have landed up using them more than my other shoes. around R500

good value.

Also bike shop branded kit like shorts and shirts usually work out cheaper than non branded stuff and most will do for a first kit.

I saw those Serfas... so they are not bad?