iPods: Shuffle vs Nano vs Touch

M L

Somehow my iPod shuffle broke and i am getting a R700 voucher. I would like to get some input on the matter of your iPod.

I use mine mainly for outdoor activties. More battery life is always a better thing, that goes for space as well. The shuffle is only 2gb and battery life is pretty poor. So i am deciding on the nano or the touch.

In sa the price diff is only R200 so my main problem with the touch is it's size.

What do you guys have/prefer? Touch can take some nice apps like endmondo, battery life is x1.5 as good and 8gb is ok. Is the nano's size a no brainer?

http://www.apple.com/ipod/compare-ipod-models/

Don't use mine for sports activities. Only in the car, office, docking stations in and around the house & whilst travelling. Classic would get my vote. 160GB of space and killer battery life.

The touch is great, but you might as well just get an iPhone. Endomondo will load to the iPod touch but as there is no gps chip it won't be able to track your ride. I use a nano for cycling, because unlike the touch and iPhone it has a radio receiver and a screen so unlike the shuffle you can still see what you're listening to, also it's a lot smaller and the clip easily attaches to a camelbak whereas the touch is the size of a phone. The touch is great for home use because you can shar your computers library wirelessly.mim a huge apple fan but you should also look at the motorolla motoactiv, same size as a nano, with a gps chip for tracking your ride.

Touch if you just want an ipod by as NS said, only iphone has a proper gps for sports tracking

Interesting inputs, so endmondo is out on the touch. I have a dock so would like to stick with apple, itunes works a treat but the moto is worth a look.

Classic is a bit heavy for my use RB but as you said, for car and office it's the one to go for. If you add R1000 so that's R3000 total you can get the 32gb touch. Now that's a nice deal. Touch is outweighing on the scale. Got a HD video camera (would be nice for some mtb races), you can get that holder to put it on your stem and put the odd movie, youtube video or app on it. There's even apps for sms'ing for free to other touches and iphones. Seen some free call (with wifi) apps as well, like skype for instance.

The iphone is a bit out of my budget. Mom's phone is almost due for an upgrade but the 4s goes for R470pm. Maybe mtn has a good deal on the 8gb iPhone 4.

The major advantage of the Classic is the disk size, 160GB, which allows you to run uncompressed rather than mp3 files. Much better sound, especially if you have an external DAC

Problem with classic is that it does not have a flash drive and any undue motion movement plays haoc with its harddrive

on a 32gb I can't seen why you can't run alac on it. 32gb is more than enough for my library, but then again I'm not one of those guys having a 100gb library for bragging rights. I have what I want and listen to.

A DAC is out of the question. Using it for cycling. Besides having a DAC will only make a difference with decent earphones or headphones.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Touch and its awesome. It's basically a cheaper iPhone without phone calls, SMS and a proper GPS and it's camera is average.

Most all of the apps are there and you can do stuff like Facetime, Skype, and most iPhone apps.

The battery life is great and you can improve it further by turning down screen brightness and using switching off wifi.

However, if disk space is your main requirement, try the Classic which is 160gb and cheaper than the Touch. Pretty much all it does is play music though, so I guess it depends on your needs.

I have a touch and cant complain. I know size might be an issue but you can hook it up to the nike sensor (R250) and log run, distance, pace ect. All this gets sent to a really cool online platform. It is also a wireless internet device which i found helpful for maps ect whilst travelling aborad (where free wifi is available everywhere). Also has a bunch of great apps ect. There is also a decent camera and more than decent video with sound.

Problem with classic is that it does not have a flash drive and any undue motion movement plays haoc with its harddrive

Good point, yeah the touch has the solid state hard drive like the iPhone and new Macbook Air, so you "should" be able to drop it without distroying your hard drive. Try not land on the screen while going over your handlebars in a flying W move though.