Practical advice needed

messenger

Hi all,

Please advise!!! Would like views and opinions - even if you have a "what are you thinking tonsil" in your reply.

I can get a really, really good deal on a pretty awesome road bike. It is a 54cm and I am 187 - so i should be on a 56/57; BUT can I make a 54 work (and how), considering it's a steal.... Or am I just being a nob and should not make the cardinal mistake of getting the wrong size - just 'coz its a really good deal?

Its just that it is brand spanking and freaking awe-some and once in a life time..... Oh and I do want a road bike - im not afraid of the speed :whistling:

Please throw your pearls of wisdom at me.

PS - Sorry; I cannot get the bike and sell it to you. The deal is, i must ride road with the seller if I take the bike off his hands....... :P

Don't do it, man!

I bought a bike too small for me - huge mistake and cost me $$$$$!

I am 188cm and ride a 60cm bike - not strictly the right size according to conventional wisdom, but it works for me.

Ride before you buy, man! Get a good fitting done to establish your needs. Then go and buy your bike. It'll save you thousands in stems and layback seatposts and longer cranks, and God knows what else to "make" that 54cm fit.

My 2c...

Good luck, and I hope you find the right bike.

Nah, sorry it could be the best price by a mile but it's not going to be a good bike... for you.

I'm with Cro Mo, trying to get it to fit is going to be a nightmare, just get a bike that fits in the first place and you'll be heaps happier.

Out of interest, what's the bike?

my bike size is 56cm, rode a 54cm once and after 2 hours i was cr@pping of back pain and ass pain!

Wouldnt do it if i were you! :thumbdown:

Hate it when u want a bike so bad but its just not the right size!!

No, you tonsil, don't be dumb or all you'll be is sorry.

And what a stupid deal anyway, " here, buy my too small bike and ride with me" whats the difference to selling the bike at fair market value and contributing to your right sized bike?

Facepalm period.

No, you tonsil, don't be dumb or all you'll be is sorry.

And what a stupid deal anyway, " here, buy my too small bike and ride with me" whats the difference to selling the bike at fair market value and contributing to your right sized bike?

Facepalm period.

Well ye, the story is a wee bit longer than that - and i aint bought nothing yet - so no facepalm

So what's your mate going to do with this bike now... ;)

It will stand in his garage with his 12 other bikes, I am sure.....

Expat - all his bikes just arrived (bought the Caad just before he got transfered without getting the opportunity to ride). Bought a Pina for the Argus - so this is just (another) dust collection machine I suppose......

If it's a really good deal buy it and sell the frame or buy it and swop the frame in the classifieds.

A 54cm will be to small for you to ride but there are many 56/58 frames in the classifieds.

My 2c. Go to http://m.competitivecyclist.com/fit-calculator/ and enter your dimensions. You will need someone to help you with a tape measure and a spirit level. It shoud give you parameters for a frame size and top, head and seat tube, drop, setback, crank length. Then just check these with bike. You might just need to raise handlebars and fit a longer stem. Worst case is you could buy bike and sell it.

I think you bought it already you just checking here to see if you made a mistake.

My 2c. Go to http://m.competitive...fit-calculator/ and enter your dimensions. You will need someone to help you with a tape measure and a spirit level. It shoud give you parameters for a frame size and top, head and seat tube, drop, setback, crank length. Then just check these with bike. You might just need to raise handlebars and fit a longer stem. Worst case is you could buy bike and sell it.

I think you bought it already you just checking here to see if you made a mistake.

No sir! Im a snoep baas-ted! And also cannot sell it (you see "the guy" is my boss and CEO - so there will be no CLM's here)

Thanks for the link - awesome.

The solution is surely obvious if you know the guy selling it? Borrow it and ride it. If it fits and you're comfy buy it. If it doesn't, don't.

Hey G,

Don't buy it! It's way too small for you! Listen to what everyone else said above.

Anywho, say hi to the cuz! :D