Fox / Rockshox. 100mm to 120mm

JTK

HI All,

I have two fox Fseries forks and a rockshox recon race. I am using for a bike build for my son etc. I would like to know if there is a way knowing which forks can go to 120mm without opening them up to see if the have a spacer?

Thanks

JT

Edited by JTK

Hi CPT Mayhem. not sure at all. The one fox is a silver one so I recon probably slightly older. Maybe 4-6years. The other is a black one so looks like on of the newer ones. Say maybe a 2008/9. The Recon Race cant be old either. It is spotless. So I recon maybe 2009/10.

Edited by JTK

It's hard to say. You'll have to open them up to make 100% sure.

I've done just that but I needed to service my 2009 FOX F120 RL. I noticed that if I set the stopper on the air spring assembly a bit further up the shaft the travel could be strecthed from 125mm to 150mm!!!

BUT... when I checked the bushings on the lowers the lowest point of the stanchions only reached the top part / entrance of the bushes, but did not 'enter' into it.

You can search the sram & fox sites for more info, bit I guess it's the best to open it up & see for yourself & take it from there. Heck if you have someone that can turn (is it the correct word? or is it lathe?) you a 10mm spacer if you want to remove the 20mm & only want to increase to 110mm & not 120mm. This is mostly true on RS, but fox on the other hand uses a stopper with clevis pin & pre drilled holes to adjust travel. i'm gonna move the spacer to the 150mm setting & then just put on a 15mm spacer to engage with the internal bushing on the lower. Then I've got a 135mm travel fork-voila!

Heard good things about the recon race forks. Haven't tried 1 out yet, but I have to say that the RS Reba is SO much better than my Fox F120 RL. Too bad the RS didn't have a 15mm tru axle otherwise I would have kept it & sold off the Fox. Fox is also WAY overpriced!

thanks. yes the recon race is a solo air. lovely fork actualy.

In that case I am almost 100% sure you would be able to extend the travel to 120mm by altering the "All Travel Spacer".

I have the tech doc for a Recon fork saved somewhere...I can send that to if you like. Having difficulty finding Fox tech docs in the interswebs though.... :blink: